Logic Express equipment and setting up

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by thekeysarealive, Feb 15, 2011.

1. thekeysarealive macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have Logic Express on my Macbook Pro but now I need a keyboard/speakers etc to be able to use it. I have no idea what to get - to be honest I want the cheapest possible just to get started as money is tight at the moment.

I'm a keyboard player so eventually I'd like a keyboard with weighted keys but it doesn't have to be to start with.

So: what keyboard? speakers? anything else?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are a keyboard player and you don't already own a keyboard??? Use what you have. You of course need to connect your K/B's MIDI to the mac but just et the correct cable

The cheapest speakers would be those little earbuds that cam "free" with your ipod or your computer's built-in speakers.

3. FroColin macrumors regular

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/333243-REG/M_Audio_9900_50829_00_KEYSTATION_61ES_61.html
    This is the cheapest weighted keyboard that I know of. It's USB and midi, a sustain pedal input and that's it. It's very basic but it works perfectly fine, has pitch bend and modulation. I gave you the link on B&H cause it's the cheapest one that I know of, also I am in love with B&H and I reuse to acknowledge any other website exists ;) It's only 140 bucks. This may seem expensive but it's VERY cheap for a semi weighted keyboard. If you want 88 keys then they have a larger version of that. It's... 200 I think. As for headphones... idk haha

4. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

I bought this keyboard for the sound booths at our college and I've been really happy with it. It's obviously not a full keyboard, but it's got enough to make it really useful and it also works seamless with Macs, truly plug-and-play. Logic has no trouble recognizing it.

As for speakers, I got the Bose Companion and have been very happy with it. It's not cheap ($300) but IMO it's worth every penny.

5. thekeysarealive thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant - thanks.

Yes I'm a keyboard player but I have an acoustic piano (Steinway 1922). I'm just venturing into this brave new world!