Logic Express/Logic Pro on App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OS X Dude, Jan 9, 2011.

1. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Is it likely? Aperture is a pro app and is on there, and it'd make sense if they also added Logic and Final Cut - it'd be like a professional version of iWork with the whole set.

If they priced it like they priced Aperture too.... well, that's just a bonus :D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Doesn't Logic have like several DVDs? I think the samples take a lot space. Anyway, Aperture is only like few hundred MBs but AFAIK Logic is A LOT bigger.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Logic Pro comes on 9 DVDs so would be a hefty download.

4. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

The bare program is 695MB, it's the Loops that take up the space. I see where you guys are coming from though, maybe they could do Express but with Loops as in-app purchases?

5. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Like the others said it takes a lot of space 9GB for applications and 38GB for optional content. With Logic Studio 9 you get Main stage 2, Soundtrack Pro 3 and Logic Pro 9 so it's not just one app either theres about 7 or 8 of them and I've never seen a download like that before on any of the app stores.

6. champ01 Guest

Would be really nice if Apple split the bundles and sells the "PRO" applications, loops etc. separately. :) (and cheaper of course)

The applications I mostly use are plug-ins with huge libraries.
    What's the limit (in GB's) for developers to sell their applications thru the Mac App Store?

Downloading all the "PRO" audio and video applications thru the Mac App Store would be a huge deal for a lot of users.

So Steve.... are the next Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro (read no FCS,LS) to be Mac App Store exclusives? :D

7. Queso macrumors G4

GarageBand '11 is only a few hundred megabytes in size, but on first use will download nearly 1.5GB of loops and samples if you haven't got the libraries installed already. I don't see why Logic couldn't work the same way.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

1. Logic is too big.
    2. Logic violates Apple's App Store rules.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Why, because of it's size?

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No. Due to the files it puts in places that Apple's rules do not permit. Not to mention the fact that Logic isn't just one program, it's a collection of programs like iLife and iWork.

Will Logic arrive at the App Store? Probably, sooner or later. Just not yet.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Can you elaborate what the rule states?

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Can't honestly find where I read it, but Apple only lets you have files outside of the app in certain places, and I'm pretty certain that all 20gb of samples for logic get installed somewhere obscure.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"Logic Pro comes on 9 DVDs so would be a hefty download."

Here's a very telling example of why the DVD is not "dead", as some [elsewhere in this forum] are so quick to point out....

14. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

No, the DVD is dead. Apple just doesn't want to upgrade to BluRay, which would put those 9 DVDs onto 1 BluRay...

15. Queso macrumors G4

Not at home right now so can't check Logic on my iMac, but GarageBand on my MBP puts most of its files in /Library/Application Support. As I inferred to in my earlier post the download from the App Store for GarageBand only installs the main application into /Applications. However, when you first execute it the app will connect to Apple and download all the instrument libraries, loops and extra content.

If GarageBand does this and is allowed on the Store I can't see why Logic wouldn't be, although they may have to recode part of the main app to add the functionality.

16. champ01 Guest

DVD is dead but BluRay should follow very shortly (not for movies etc.)

Ow and Logic Pro is just 1 DVD

Logic Studio are 9 DVD's and comes with Logic Pro as well as Soundtrack Pro, Mainstage, Loops etc.

17. mopppish macrumors 6502

Ableton offers both boxed and download versions of Live. The boxed version includes all of the extra sounds.
    I wouldn't mind something like this for Logic.
    Although I have all of the additional sounds installed from the DVDs, I rarely use them. And I don't have any of the loops installed.
    Plus, although one of the main values to Logic is how much they pack into the studio bundle, I can also see a lot of value in just letting me upgrade the programs I use (never touch Waveburner anymore, never use Compressor, only use the noise print noise reduction function in Soundtrack Pro, which could and should be rolled into Logic).

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Two things. I was wrong about Logic... the samples are only in an obscure place at my college because it was moved there so all users on the mac could access it.

2nd thing. Just got a copy of GarageBand on the Mac App Store and the samples are downloaded on the application's first run. It would be a big download for Logic, but as long as they continue releasing DVD editions and provided an option to select/deselect the sample library's you wish to download, I don't see any reason why Logic cannot be in the Mac App Store. I guess it will just take time for Apple to split up the Apps (Logic, Mainstage, Loops Utility, Etc) and.... um... stuff.

[​IMG]

19. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

iRony :)

20. Orcasound macrumors newbie

at this moment Logic wont be available on the app store - the size really isnt the issue but as already mentioned it violates the app store rules ...
    1. it requires a software license acceptance screen on installation
    2. it requires a serial code for registration.

I dont forsee apple changing that for Logic so it might be a while before you'l see it on the mac app store.

21. p1n8ack macrumors newbie

Final cut pro in app store why not logic express?

Final Cut Pro is in the apple store so I don't see where registration or download size could be a problem. At least Logic Express should be there. I wish someone with power would see these posts.

22. aygie macrumors regular

23. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

And there we have it, on the day of my birthday :)

Although, I got my educational discount version for £109... so I'm not affected by the price cut. At that price though, I will definitely upgrade to Logic X (if it is the same price).

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Happy Birthday.

25. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Thankyou :D