Logic Express Questions: Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Dec 23, 2008.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

My first question is besides price, what is really the difference between Logic Studio and Logic Express 8? Does it offer so many extras that it would be worth paying more?

Also, are strings and horns provided in either Garageband or Logic Express? Or would I need to buy another program for that?

Also, if I create part of a song in Garageband, can I move it to Logic Express to work on it some more?

One more question, if I use an education discount on a Macbook Pro and have Logic Express preinstalled on my Macbook Pro, am I still qualified for discounts on future updates to Logic Express or because I used an education discount to have it preinstalled I am not? Thanks for your time guys!

2. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm going to go with Logic Studio. Does anyone know when the next edition of Logic Studio could come out?

3. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

From the wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_Express

"Logic Pro and Express share most functionality and the same interface. Logic Express is limited to two-channel stereo mixdown, while Logic Pro can handle multichannel surround sound; Logic Express also lacks support for TDM/DAE systems, high-end control surfaces and Distributed Audio Processing. Both can handle up to 255 audio tracks, depending on system performance (CPU, hard disk throughput and seek time). Logic Express 8 comes with 36 software instruments and 73 effect plug-ins, including almost all of those in the Logic Pro Package. Those that it doesn't include are Sculpture, a physical modelling synthesiser; the "vintage" instruments (the EVB3 tonewheel organ, the EVD6 Clavinet and the EVP88 Electric Piano), however a cut down version of these is included with the Garageband instruments; Space designer, a convolution reverb effect; and delay designer, an advanced delay effect."

Yeah you can move a garageband recording to either.

You might want to check out this forum

http://logicprohelp.com/

It doesn't seem there is any timeline for 9. It is likely a year or more away.

4. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for the reply. Logic Pro will be the choice and then if they come out with a new version I can always just upgrade. I thought I read somewhere that if I get Logic Studio with the Education Discount, you can NOT get the upgrade in the future. Is that true?

5. musicismycallin macrumors newbie

Yes. It says right on the box. "Academic. Not eligible for upgrades."

6. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, thanks.

7. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

Keep in mind that Logic Studio is a whole lot more than just Logic Pro. The previous quote from Wikipedia outlines some differences between Logic Express and Logic Pro, but Logic Studio includes a lot more. You get Main Stage for running virtual instruments live in a performance setting, Soundtrack 2.0, and several other pieces of software including ALL the Garage Band Jam Packs. Quicktime Pro registration is included. You also get actual paper manuals. The whole thing comes in typically stylish Apple box that weighs a ton due to the enormous, encyclopedic manuals.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but with Logic Studio you can also link multiple computers together for distributed processing for improved performance with virtual instruments and such.

8. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it seems like a very impressive program. I read that it takes around 2 hours to install. Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.