Logic Freaks - Advice Needed 2010 13" MBpro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkVinda, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Hey folks advice is needed for all out there that use logic studio...

i've got the 13" 2010 MBPro (my baby) Lol :D

i need to know what would be a better first upgrade...looking at either:

a) 8GB DDR3 Ram or
    b) 7200 500+gb hard drive was thinking either 640 or 750GB.

ssd isnt an option for me as i've got nearly 60gb of sample/accapella's and there's no way i can afford a 250gb ssd at the moment.

thanks for the advice in advance.

Vinda

2. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i forgot to say that i will be getting both but prob about 8 weeks apart so wondering which would be first.

3. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

I reckon you should have a look a activity monitor while you're using Logic, see if you have a lot of "page outs". That's where you run out of RAM, and the OS starts using your (slow) hard drive instead. If you are running out of RAM, upgrade that, otherwise, get the new drive.
    Also, check out the seagate momentus hybrid drives. I think I'll probably be getting one soon as the funds come together. They seem to pretty much offer the best of both worlds regarding HDD vs SSD

4. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Looked into the Momentus XT hybrid drive but i've noticed a few people are having issues...yeah will keep an eye that and see whats what!

think it might just be a toss of the coin to decide!!!
    :p

Vinda

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Ive been fine running it on a 5400rpm drive, although I will be getting an ssd in the near future. But I'd recommend the ram. After I upped to 8GB, it seemed a bit snappier.

6. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

cheers - will prob opt for the ram first...gotta figure out using an external drive for some other things etc...

7. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Personally, I'd have gone for the 7200rpm drive - the benefits of that will be that Logic launches quicker, as will any program and indeed the OS itself during boot-up.

I have a C2D 2GHz MacBook with 2GB RAM (just upgraded from 1GB) and can easily record several tracks in Logic and mix/produce them afterwards, so unless you're throwing a LOT of tracks around with a lot of effects on them (in which case, get the RAM) - I'd go for the drive.

I'm using Logic Pro 9 btw, and I'm a guitarist who uses it for recording, mixing and producing. Hardly any effects get added through Logic, although I sometimes use the Pedalboard - linked to TouchOSC on my iPad - and the Amp Cabinet too. Either way, I never notice any lag or drop in performance, even on a four-year old machine with 2GB RAM.

8. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

8GB of RAM, IMO. 5400 vs 7200 won't make a difference with anything other than the initial load of project files, VSTs and loading/recording audio. I have 4GB of RAM right now and and sometimes it's not enough with all the plug-ins I use. I'd save for an SSD unless you need more space now.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Do you plan on putting those samples on your internal hard drive? And do you plan on recording audio tracks to that same hard drive? While monitoring said tracks?

If so, you should opt for the 7200 RPM drive. That's a lot of reading and writing going on. An alternative is to run the samples from an external firewire drive.

For audio recording, you should get the 7200 RPM.

10. DarkVinda thread starter macrumors regular

DarkVinda

eeek gives me a lot to think about a SSD for me just wouldnt work as they just dont have the room...a crucial 128gb at £170 just wouldnt cut it at all...i play wow and thats a 25gb install on its own.

think its gonna be an external hdd = i got a wd passport 500gb that im gonna mess around with at first then look for a firewire hdd.

think the ram is the way to go at the moment - then firewire external and see how my needs progress.

im basically only just getting into logic and will be mainly building trance from samples till i move at the end of the month then looking into a 1/2 decent setup to build from scratch...