Logic & Garageband: "Disk Is Too Slow"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bollockser, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Bollockser macrumors regular

So I am hoping that with my new 2.3 i7 quad mini, once I have it totally tricked out and souped up, I will never see this message again. Ive spent literally years reading threads all over the net about people with supercharged macs having this problem while recording music.

I have been using a field recording program called Boom Recorder to record multi-track audio, and then importing the tracks into GB or Logic and doing my mixing and mastering, because I got sick of having my jam sessions with my band ruined because of this maddening error.

I'm going to put dual SSDs in my new Mini, so I am not recording to the system disk.

Anyone discovered a foolproof method of avoiding the old "Disk Is Too Slow" error? This seems like a case of Apple being lazy and not debugging these programs more than a case of the Mac not being able to handle the workload.

2. onekerato macrumors regular

You could get a USB3 SSD-based flash drive, install/mirror/clone OS X on it, and boot off that drive for the times when you need a speedy HDD. You can get 256GB SSD-USB3 drives for around $150.

3. Bollockser thread starter macrumors regular

With my current setup, I started out with a brand new Mac Mini 2009 with SSD and an external FW800 hard drive, and garageband still said "Disk Is Too Slow".

It's not the hardware, it's Apple's programs.
    I know all about what needs to be done on the hardware side of things, just wondering if anyone with Logic X or the new Garageband can attest to the stability of these programs or if they are going to cause a show-stopping error that is due to Apple's unwillingness to de-bug their music recording software.

My new plan is Dual Internal SSDs. Record the audio to the non-system, non-application Disk. Don't want to muck about with external drives - and furthermore I don't trust USB for Digital Audio. Which is one of the biggest reasons I had to buy the 2012 Mac Mini, last mac ever with FW800.