Logic: gated delay / copying track automation

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by drennan, Aug 2, 2007.

1. drennan macrumors member

Hi. I'm using logic express and there are a couple of areas where i'm stuck. Firstly I want to setup a gated delay (think thats what its called) so the delay will only be applied to part of a vocal (i.e. the end part), so the whole vocal doesn't repeat and sound 'messy'. Most dance tracks use this method but i'm not sure if theres a tool to do it or whether i need to do it manually using automation. Its gonna take ages if i do cos i also have this problem:

I know how to move automation (hitting V and then shift/select to select the automation points) but how do i copy this section of automation and paste it to the next few bars, where there's no automation? I can highlight and move the automation by dragging once highlighted but if i cmd c, cmd v, nothing happens. 2 things i've been stuck on for ages so hope someone can help! thanks guys, dren.

2. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Have you tried highlighting the automation and dragging while holding the option key (i think that's what it is called, it has alt at the top of the key...)?

As far as gated delays go, I have a tc electronics rack delay which has a preset called dynamic delay which makes the delay quieter when you play / sing louder and vice versa. Is that what you mean? I'm not sure how to do that on logic though. You could also use a compressor and make the delay repeat really quietly and use the compressor to raise the volume of the repeats when the vocal is quiet. Move the feedback fader down if it is still messy.

You could probably get a third party delay (possibly free) to do this. I really like the logic tape delay though...

Hope this helps.

Edit: You could also open the automation event list and do it all from there... I presume there is one on Logic Express.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe i'm just not familiar with the technique, but i don't see how using a gate will help here. i'd just stick with automating the vocal send to the delay when you want more effect; i do that all the time.

4. drennan thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried highlighting the automation and dragging while holding the option key (i think that's what it is called, it has alt at the top of the key...)?

Excellent, been messing around with that for ages, thanks

As far as gated delays go, You could also use a compressor and make the delay repeat really quietly

Thinking about it, the effect i'm thinking of could be a compressor and delay. I'll have a play. thanks again