Logic opening Garage Band

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayducharme, Feb 12, 2015.

1. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

This is really bizarre, and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered it.

I teach at a college, and this year we finally have installed Logic Pro X on our classroom computers (2008 Mac Pros) and the teacher's machine (2013 iMac). There are multiple user accounts on the teacher's computer. So I logged in to my account to demo Logic X for my students. I clicked on the Logic icon. The loading window came up (with Logic 10.1 showing). But when the menu screen appeared for choosing a project, it was Garage Band's menu. The menu bar at the top of the screen showed Logic's menus, though. So I chose a "vocal" project, and the project opened. It was Garage Band, complete with the fake wood strips on either side. But again, the menu bar said I was in Logic. I was flummoxed. I check my students' computers (the Mac Pros), and Logic opened fine on all their machines.

So I quit "Logic Band" and went to my Library Preferences, deleting all the Logic and Garage Band plist files. I restarted the iMac, logged back in, restarted Logic -- and it was still Garage Band.

Next, I restarted the iMac again but this time logged in to the administrator account. This time Logic opened perfectly. But then a new problem cropped up. When I brought sounds onto multiple tracks and tried to show them how to copy and paste audio, my computer refused to copy and paste with the usual CMD-C, CMD-V controls. I had to right-click to get the copy and paste options to work.

I use Logic X at home all the time and on my office computer, and have had no issues. Any ideas what might be going on?

2. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68030

jayducharme

Thanks to The Art of Sound on Apple's discussion boards for the answer: Logic actually has that Garage Band look by default now. To turn it off, simply go to Preferences > Advanced Tools and check the Advanced Tools. I had done that at on my home Mac but had forgotten all about it because when you first install Logic, it asks you if you want the Advanced Tools. I never thought about it after that.