Logic Pro 8 glitches.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mashiach, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

I thought I would set up this thread for logic pro 8 users to discuss known glitches, bugs and crash prompters they have found in Logic Pro 8 and any possible known work arounds.

I have two major ones at the moment with no fix as of yet.

1. Beat mapping seems to be shot to hell in LP8 as it just won't recognise any form of beat and when it does it will put the resultant BPM at around 960 bpm.

2. Logic Pro 8 will always crash if you try to go past z in the number of delays you put into delay designer. it doesn't know what to do after every letter of the alphabet is used.

2. dLight macrumors member

I've used Beat Mapping a lot in Logic 8, and haven't seen the situation you describe. What do you do before you get that problem?

3. scootter macrumors newbie

scootter

Hi dlight,
    off the subject for a second.
    I am wondering can you or any one let me know that if i wanted to
    use logic express compositions to play live with my band
    using my mac book, would it be possible to trigger an external metronome devise such as a yamaha rhythm station via midi so that the drummer can
    follow in time with the created tracks or loops on express?

4. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

It's just the usual import an audio file with a strong 8th beat feel. press g to open global track select beat mapping select detect notes or whatever it is (i don't have logic open at the moment.) set the note type to 8th note and then walla 900 and odd bpm.

5. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

I havent used yamaha rhythm station but if its like a standard midi device. Just connect it to your laptop via midi and then somewhere within the settings of the yamaha get it to trigger the metronome when you press play in logic. or send a simple click from logic via a midi channel to the yamaha rhythm station for it to play back.

6. dLight macrumors member

I never use the automatic note detection feature - I do it manually (drag lies from the upper grid onto the notes).

It is recommended that if you want to use the automatic analyze function, you should at least identify the first two notes manually first.

For fine control, use Shift +Control.

7. scootter macrumors newbie

scootter

Cheers mate!
    Thanks for the tip!

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Can't say I've experienced any of the issues you describe, although I have had a few stability issues, such as completely random crashes, a few lock-ups and graphical glitches.

Other than that, Logic Pro 8 is by far the best piece of software I have used IMO, and that's saying something...

9. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

I shall give that a try see if it works.
    Cheers man.

Back to the Original post though please put forward common glitches that happen repeatedly and tell others about them.

10. tmeh macrumors newbie

Heya,

I've run into an extremely annoying little glitch with Logic Pro 8.
    I have a Mac G5.

Every time I load up Logic Pro 8, a static sounding 'click' or 'pop' is emitted at random intervals, perhaps every 30 seconds to a minute. The monitors pick this up, and it even gets recorded into tracks.

This only occurs with Logic open, and no other program. It happens in all states, when recording, listening to audio, or doing nothing at all (no sound playing). I have tried disconnecting components one at a time, and testing with separate and different components, and have come to the conclusion that it has to be the program itself.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this before? It started happening right after I had my G5 fixed (in this case replaced), but with the same hard drive as the previous G5.

I greatly thank anyone who can offer any assistance in advance, and cross my fingers for a solution.

Cheers,

-
    Gio

11. DJBrooksE macrumors newbie

Delay Glitch

Hey people,

I know of a couple of annoying little glitches, but the most irritating one of the lot (even above random crashes) is the one im having with delays.
    Now i know a lot of people that use logic 8, at least 50. And only one of these people is havin this problem other than me.

The delay tail begins as normal, and over time should obviously fade out. During the delay tail, the signal stops altogether, as if you were to mute the channel. Then, as abruptly as it mutes, it comes back on a couple of seconds later. Now this happens on all the delay plugins, every last one of them

I've "Idiot" scanned the project so to speak, to check that i aint drawn any envelopes that im unaware of, and its all fine. Please, if there is anyone else in the world thats having this issue i'd love to know. I aint got a clue what to do. im thinkin of re-installing plugins but, as it took like 3 hours to install the program in the first place, im rather reluctant to do so

Nice one people

12. andifall macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem!!
    Any fixes??

andifall

13. instant-relief macrumors newbie

I'm also having a very similar problem. I get a burst of static about 3 seconds long every couple of bars. Oddly enough, it is only occurring in bass guitar recordings. Once I mute the bass, all is well. And once I solo the bass, the static remains.
    Anyone know of a fix?

14. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Is it possible you've got a plug-in that's in demo mode? Sometimes when they are not registered, they issue bursts of sound every 30 seconds. Funnily enough, I had this exact issue recently - also on a bass track - and it turned out to be my copy of Ampeg SVX which had magically unregistered itself.

15. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Here's a few I've got. They are all intermittent, and not the sort of thing that is on *every* installation, but I have seen each of them on at least 2 setups. (I work professionally so I use a lot of rigs). They tend to be things that occur on very heavy sessions, possibly when Logic is having some trouble with memory management:

1. "Current Track Is Frozen" error message when trying to solo/unsolo/mute/unmute a frozen track (not channel strip).

2. "Current Track Is Frozen" error message when trying to use scissor tool on a track that is not frozen. This often requires pressing 'Cancel' multiple times before normal operation is restored.

3. When editing the left edge of a region, occasionally the next region along (if it's joined to the current one) will disappear. Very annoying if you've been heavily zoomed-in so you don't know it happened and can't undo.

4. When doing "insert time" operation, automation does not always move correctly - sometimes one parameter on a channel moves too far or not far enough.

5. If logic is doing an operation that locks you out for a while (e.g. freezing tracks or re-starting audio engine) it will often leave windows "floating" so they are in front even if you switch to another app.

EDIT - I forgot the all time classic: when you stop in the middle of the song, Logic holds things like reverb tails in memory and then 'lets them out' next time you play.

16. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

When working with video, and trying to navigate the video frame by frame, you can go forwards, but not backwards.

17. jazzslant macrumors newbie

Suddenly Lose Sound

Here's a glitch which used to be rare but now happens nearly every day and no idea why. I will be happily listening to or editing a track. Press play again and suddenly no sound! I haven't touched any settings, all other sounds on my MacBook are there, just nothing from Logic. The cursor moves along and no error messages appear - it's just like everything is muted...except nothing is! I used to have to shut down and restart Logic to clear the problem, since then I have discovered that just changing a setting in the audio preferences and applying changes is enough to reinitialise the core audio and this clears the problem. Strange though, because when it has its quiet moments not even the midi tracks play. Any ideas why this is happening? Anyone else had this?

18. duckline macrumors newbie

Logic problem

I have a glitch. When I create multiple tracks in a new session, the 2nd track seems to be "shadowing" the first track. This means that if the first track has drums, and the 2nd is blank, and I mute the first track you can still hear drums! It keeps doing this to me.

I try deleting that track, but occasionally a new track will start doing it too! Anyone else have this problem?

19. salientstimulus macrumors member

What are you using for your audio output? If there's some hardware or driver issue that causes a momentary loss of connection to the audio interface, that would explain why reinitializing the audio preferences works...