Logic pro 8 slow loading problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beestigbeestje, Feb 20, 2008.

1. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

My macbook pro seems to be having problems opening projects after I just load logic pro. Logic pro loads fine, but then nothing happens and it just sits there, after 20 seconds the project starts loading as fast as it normally does.
    If I close the project en reopen it, or just open another one .. it loads very quickly (as normal).
    If I close logic pro and reopen it, logic pro loads like it should, but the project takes forever again to load.
    I have tried fixing diskpermissions and have run onyx, but it doesn't seem to help. I have also tried resetting the RAM
    Does someone knows what I can do to fix this? A couple of weeks ago it wasn't like this. "Recent" projects loaded immediately after loading logic pro. I would rather not reinstall the whole logic studio just to fix this.

2. davidec macrumors regular

That sounds like it's having problems either finding the associated files or stalling on plug ins verification. What happens if you create a new empty project with no plug ins or audio, save it, then reload it through recent projects? Also check your prefs/global/startup action

3. beestigbeestje thread starter macrumors regular

The empty project takes just as long the others after loading logic (very long wait before actually loading). Only if I have opened a project and closed it.. all my projects load instantly. If I change startup action to "do nothing", opening a project for the first time takes just as long. After the first project is loaded en then closed, other projects open instantly. It is like it can't find the projects folder and when it does, it memorizes it and then project are loading much much faster.

4. davidec macrumors regular

if you create another user account in osx and it all works fine then i would suggest it could be the pref files. maybe try moving the 2 logic.pro files in your user library/prefs and try booting logic. maybe it's something dodgy in your autoload/template. try opening one of their templates

5. beestigbeestje thread starter macrumors regular

Removing them did not change anything. And creating a template for the first time takes lang after the logic pro load. Maybe I do have to reinstall the whole thing? if I have to, can I just reinstall logic pro or do I have to reinstall the whole logic studio package? thanks for your comments

6. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

How much hard drive space do you have and how much ram do you have? Maybe it is your hard drive speed.

7. beestigbeestje thread starter macrumors regular

Like my signature I have a 2.4 Ghz macbook pro with 2gb RAM HD speed is 5400rpm. I don't think it is because my HD is too slow, because it wasn't like this a couple of weeks ago. Since 10.5.2 and it's graphic's update, I'm having this problem.
    HD is 160gb with 85gb left

8. davidec macrumors regular

Like I suggested before, try creating another user account in osx. If it is still happening there then I would suggest some conflict somewhere. I know a few mac users who have had trouble with the graphics update but I wouldn't want to blame that. I don't think re-installing logic would help, although you can try just re-installing the logic component without the exs sounds and apple loops.
    It's a very weird problem you are having. Try my first suggestion. You can always erase the new user account you create.

9. davidec macrumors regular

another thing, 1 gig of ram, leopard and logic 8 is pushing it. I wonder if the 10.5.2 update has required just that little bit extra and now your machine is using up all the ram. run activity monitor and check to see if you're getting any spikes upon opening recent projects. Are you using an audio card? Try running off core audio if so

10. beestigbeestje thread starter macrumors regular

activity monitor is saying that the program "does not respond" after booting it up, before actually loading a project. I created an other user but with no luck. Activity monitor says that logic is using 4,5 percent of the cpu while loading and uses 200mb of RAM.. "does not respond" appears now and then in the processes window when the program is freezing before actually loading the project.

Haven't tried with my external soundcard yet, so now it is only core audio. Core audio OFF doesn't help. Still having the delay.

I've allready orderd 4gb RAM but I don't think it wil make such a difference. The program just freezes at a certain point.

11. davidec macrumors regular

12. beestigbeestje thread starter macrumors regular

seems like a bug indeed. Hope they're aware of it and'll fix it.

13. Janmansilver macrumors newbie

Same issue on my MacBook Pro

I'm having the same issue? Is there a workaround or do we to wait for a bug fix?

14. coelho macrumors newbie

i had the same issue. Do the upgrade to logic 8.0.2 and it might work properly now. It worked for me.

15. mcbeej macrumors member

Yes, this is one of the fixes in 8.0.2.

No more 20 sec delay when loading Logic.

16. Crossbone macrumors regular

I get an error message saying "System Overload" sometimes, don't know why, i have 4 GBs of RAM and a 5400 HDD.