Logic Pro 8 Spinning beach ball hassles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gomff, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone.
    I've been having problem with Logic Pro 8. Whenever I select a new instrument from the library, I get a spinning beachball for about 3 minutes and the hard drive goes batsh*t. I'm guessing the machine is searching for the instrument library somewhere or something, but it's making Logic pretty much unusable.

The problem became noticeable after I did a fresh install of SL and imported my user profile from my old install which had been going for ages. I only imported my user preferences and home folder, and reinstalled all my apps separately. I have tried repairing permissions but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I also tried deleting preferences for Logic but I'm not convinced I got everything.

Anybody got any suggestions? I'm thinking the next step would be complete and utter removal of Logic from my system and then a fresh reinstall, but again I'd want to be sure I got everything.

Cheers.

2. Gomff thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, more thorough searching and trying out of things has led to a fix, albeit a weird one.

If I disable spotlight on Windows volumes, the problem goes away. Dunno why this should be the case but there you go.