Logic pro core audio dropouts (2020 mac pro)

thesecession

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Logic 10.8.4
Uad 9.11
Catalina 10.15
2020 Mac pro
Apollo 8 with Thunderbolt to usb C adapter

When I get core overloads with a big project, logic will frequently kill all audio till its rebooted. Logic is still responsive but it also won't quit the project so I force quit, but then Logic will not open again (it just pops up and down in the dock) until I reboot the system.

This seems similar to issues with the t2 chip that I've read but I thought that was only with USB interfaces. Curious if anyone else has this issue?

Thanks,

Greg

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
Logic 10.8.4
Uad 9.11
Catalina 10.15
2020 Mac pro
Apollo 8 with Thunderbolt to usb C adapter

When I get core overloads with a big project, logic will frequently kill all audio till its rebooted. Logic is still responsive but it also won't quit the project so I force quit, but then Logic will not open again (it just pops up and down in the dock) until I reboot the system.

This seems similar to issues with the t2 chip that I've read but I thought that was only with USB interfaces. Curious if anyone else has this issue?

Thanks,

Greg
What does apple say??
Call them and get the Logic pro people on the case!!

Let us know what they say?
You paid Way too much for that nonsense!! Fix it apple!! ;)

Reactions: thesecession

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
It’s the adapter! Try to get rid of it
I told you it’s the cheap adapter! It’s well know those things are cheaply made!
Must be the adapter
There is no cheap Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters. There isn't really many at all.
So you're not using a Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter, but a Thunderbolt 2 (miniDP port) to Thunderbolt 3 (usb-c port) adapter.

I run a chain of adapters to connect my old RME FireFaces
1. Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt2
2. Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800
3. FireWire 800 to Firewire400

and i have 0 issues with it on the mini and on the 13" mbp.

I’m having the same issue with cubase
i have both logic and cubase on a Mac Mini and i have no such issues...

Thanks,

Greg
this is not like T2 issues at all sorry.
And yes, issues were with USB, but they fixed that anyway.
What do logic's meter say when there's no sound? Sometimes some plugins go into weird overload DC offeset type of thing (Serum did) when the cpu is overloaded.