logic pro disk to slow. want to swich to cubase

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by xdarknessx, Jan 17, 2011.

1. xdarknessx macrumors newbie

hey guys.
    im having some problems with logic pro that i am finding is a problem for a lot of people right now. sometimes logic will give me the disk to slow and sometimes it doesnt. but in the last to days it has been a problem 100% of the time.

my band is on tour right now and are very broke but it seems like cubase works when everyone has said they switch to it..

we run logic for our back track and click track during our bands concerts.
    we map out all of our tempo changes and need to be able to map out our tempos.

im just wondering if cubase essentials 5 will do this. or if anyone has done this same thing.

i have upgraded to 4gb of ram and im running a fire wire 7200rpm external hard drive. i just cant believe that my macbook pro isnt powerful enough.

2. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

You macbook should definitely be up to the job. There are a couple of things worth checking.

Firstly in your energy saving preferences make sure that your hard drives are NOT set to go to sleep when possible.

It sounds like your sessions aren't that huge if all you have are a click track and a backing track, try copying them onto your internal drive and see how they run from there.

In your audio preferences in Logic try increasing your buffer size a few notches.

It is probably also worth checking how full and fragmented your firewire drive is, If it is full to the brim, or heavily fragmented it will reduce read times considerably, in fact there may be a problem with that drive full stop, try copying onto your internal or use your backup drive.

I haven't used cubase for years but I'm sure any DAW worth its salt will be able to do tempo changes if you do decide to switch.

Finally have you looked into Mainstage? It comes bundled with logic studio and is designed for live use and can playback backing tracks and click tracks and will allow you to switch from one song to another pretty much instantly. I used it extensively on a major artist's tour recently and it was flawless....

Good luck.

3. xdarknessx thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply!

we tried putting the songs on my computers hard drive and still had the same problem. its pretty frustrating.

i am going to look into mainstage. hopefully that will work so we dont have to end up spending the extra money.

for now i just bounced the tracks out one by one and loaded them into garageband. that seems to be working for now but the outputs on garageband arent the greatest at all so the click track bleeds into our back track which is okay for now because you can only hear it for the first couple counts of songs before the rest of us come in.

i just talked to the band that gave us the idea for the set up we are running and they do the same thing as us except they are running cubase le. so that is proved to work so if we cant get mainstage to work i think we will just have to invest in cubase.

thanks again for the reply!

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"i just talked to the band that gave us the idea for the set up we are running and they do the same thing as us except they are running cubase le. so that is proved to work so if we cant get mainstage to work i think we will just have to invest in cubase."

Cubase LE is the "free version" of Cubase. You don't need a "USB dongle" to run it, you can register it for free online.

If you want to buy a copy of Cubase, I suggest you consider "Cubase Essentials", which can be found for $100-150 on ebay. The "Essentials" version DOES use a USB dongle, so you'll have to safeguard it from loss. One thing that Essentials has that the LE version doesn't, is an "autotune" plugin, which might come in handy.

Cubase is fine software, striking a good balance between power and ease-of-use and ease-of-learning. Particularly where editing is involved, I've not seen anything that comes close (although I haven't seen recent versions of ProTools). Logic can't touch it for simple editing operations such as adjusting gain, normalizing, processing audio, moving audio, etc.