Logic Pro - Install Media to Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by I'm a Mac, Apr 12, 2009.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I was thinking of buying Logic Pro, and I saw that 39 GB of space is required to install the instruments, loops, etc. and it could be installed to an external drive. Would it be possible to install these to my 1TB time capsule? Is this a bad idea because the connection would be to slow? Or am I better off biting the the bullet and going out and buying a FW800 drive? I appreciate your advice.

2. deej999 macrumors regular

Get a FW400 or 800 drive. Then after you install the content on your iMac transfer it over to your FW external drive.

It's also a good idea to record audio tracks and run projects from a drive other than the startup drive.

3. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i prefer to run projects from the startup drive and record the audio to a external drive. i presumed this was the standard way of doings things?

4. deej999 macrumors regular

Are you using Logic 8 ashjamben?

When you save a project, Logic places the audio files within the project folder. So, I always thought placing the project folder on the external drive means you record audio to the external and stream samples from the external... that gives the OS and Logic more space to be read and accessed on the startup drive. At least, that's my understanding.

5. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to change the subject, but so to clarify, I would not be able to install the additional Logic Media on my time capsule? The system requirements state:
    I would be saving my projects to the main disk, just not all of these instruments. But I'm better off buying an additional external FW800 drive instead of using my TC?

6. deej999 macrumors regular

yes, a FW400 or FW800 drive would be recommended. To see more info about how to install some of the content to an external HD check this article out:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1038

deej

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

What would you be recording? The audio data will have to go "someplace" and the internal drive is never the best place. So even if the Time Capsule idea were a good one, you'd still need the FW external disk for your captured audio files.

Also, as you capture more audio data you will need space on that Time Capsule to back it up.

And then what about backup? Time Machine is OK for one of the required three redundant backup copies but you will need more disks for the other backup copies. So no matter what once you start creating stuff you will find you have files yo can't afford to loose and you are going to need a supply of external drives.

8. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

ye, of course. i got confused there. i thought you meant you ran the actual logic program off an external drive.

9. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist, and I can get Logic Pro for $150 so I thought it'd be a steal. So the best thing is to install the instruments and save projects to the external drive, and then use TC to back them both up?

10. deej999 macrumors regular

You don't have to put the extra content on an external drive or place the projects on external drive neither. It will give better performance. But on my macbook with 10-14 tracks with effects I use the startup drive for everything. It works ok.

Try it out. You can move the content to an external drive later if you want.

Why do you want to backup content / 39GB to TC? I would backup my Logic projects to TC only.

$150 for Logic Studio! Great deal! You should know, if it is a education license, you can't upgrade it in the future to the next version.

deej

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is what they say but when I got the academic version of Logic Studio 8 it was the actual retail version with a retail serial number and no mention at all anywhere of being an academic version. I guess I got lucky, don't rely on the same thing happening though.

12. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I don't have to use an external drive, but where else am I going to put the 39gb of stuff?

13. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

On your internal drive ;)

You have 500GB on your iMac. You could back up other files onto the time machine, like music, pictures, etc. Stuff that doesn't have to be accessed in real time as fast as a sample library. Then you would have room for the samples from Logic if you don't already.