Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I've done a test upgrade on a mirror of my system and it has mostly gone smoothly, with a couple of exceptions.

The biggest by far is that Logic Pro 8 no longer works in Lion. I've researched and I see that version 9 works as long as it's fully updated but I'm wondering whether to hold off until a newer version is released.

The big fear is that it's going to be another hatchet job like Final Cut Pro, and we'll get Garage Band Pro rather than Logic. If this is the case I think it may be wiser to upgrade to 9 while I still can. Or maybe look around for some alternatives....I'm not a professional musician as such, but I have been making music for about 20 years with the more decent music apps.

Has anybody got any advice on what to do? Any other Logic users out there in the same boat?

Thanks

EtherealDJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Logic 9

Difficult to know what Apple will do with the next version of Logic, but I would have thought there is a much larger professional user population of Logic, compared to Final Cut Pro Pro's so I would be surprised if they did a Garage Band Pro job on it.

Having said that, it really depends on what you want to get out of Logic, as version 9 is superb. I upgraded to Lion yesterday, and can confirm that the latest version of Logic 9 - 9.1.4 seems to work perfectly and in full screen mode as well :) May be worth looking at the upgrade whilst it's still available, just in case they do something silly.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for the info, good to know Logic works in Lion.....I may just upgrade then while I still can.

I can't see Apple releasing all of those Jam packs and whatnot on the MAS and they don't seem big on boxed software anymore so it may be prudent to grab it while I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.