Logic Pro sound quality

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by HappySnail, Oct 28, 2011.

1. HappySnail macrumors regular

This may be stupid, I may be going crazy but I just want to know...

I recently imported a radiohead track to Logic Pro. Played it back and was amazed at the quality of the sound compared to itunes (can this be?).
    Now I'd assume the iTunes output would be the same, they are both apple products running side by side. There's no reason for there to be any difference (although logic is a pro application). Despite all this I still think I can hear an unbelievably noticeable difference in sound quality. Logic sounds so much more open and wide, iTunes sounds so mushy in comparison. I've even heard sounds I never noticed were in the song before (Especially in loud/busy bits of the song where before it was all mushed together).

If there is a difference, due to the way logic processes the files or something then is there a better quality player like logic for sound? If not, then is this just some odd placebo. I wouldn't have expected the sound to be better.

Just so you know i'm listening to 320kb/s MP3s with Soundmagic E10s, so the music is compressed. Doubt any of that would affect this.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

There should be no difference with Sound Check, Sound Enhancer and EQ all off in iTunes. Also make sure you are playing back at the same volume. If one is louder then you will have a false impression that it sounds better.