Logic Pro X - Migrate Sound Library

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Spacetime Anomaly, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Spacetime Anomaly macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

Hi there.

I have a new Mac and I have moved the sound libraries to their pertinent locations on the new machine, but the trouble is "Sound Library Manager" doesn't see them as installed. It seems to want me to re-download 100+ gb of content again.

Any help?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I haven't attempted what you're doing...you copied the folders and files (or the entire "Logic" folder) to /Library/Application Support/Logic?

Seems like it should work. I wonder if it's a permissions issue. In my case, I use a "symbolic link" at that spot and the actual "Logic" folder is on another drive.

3. Spacetime Anomaly thread starter macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

On my Air I had the files on an external drive (using symbolic links), but on my MacBook Pro I want them on the internal drive (for convenience). I copied all the files that were linked previously (so, the entire Logic folder, audio samples, Impulse Responses etc,) into their 'real' locations on the new Mac.

On startup, Logic says there are sounds to download. When I look in the Sound Library Manager, it thinks I need to install everything. Oddly, I can see all my loops indexed in the inspector, but Sound Library Manager thinks they still need to be installed and, rather than updating anything, it wants to install them again from scratch.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Perhaps checking one item for reinstallation and going through the procedure would give it a kick in the side.

5. Spacetime Anomaly thread starter macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

I tried that first, but the situation remains. It seems to not 'see' them, then installs them over the already installed files.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I've never seen the issue or know of a fix...other than biting the download bullet.

Out of curiosity I'd probably look at file permissions...compare a file that Logic acknowledges to one it doesn't...using Terminal.

7. Spacetime Anomaly, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018

Spacetime Anomaly thread starter macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

In Finder, the Logic folder shows as being owned by (me) rather than 'System'. That might have something to do with it. I'm going to uninstall everything, download Logic again, then after it has created those folders put the sound files inside them. Maybe that will work.

Update: All the sounds and loops are available in Logic. Joy! It's just the 'Sound Library Manager' doesn't know that. Boo.

Workable, at least, but might cause problems if I need to download more updates in the future.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

When you uninstalled did you get rid of everything that something like AppCleaner finds? I wonder if there's a cache file that's causing this.

ac-logic.jpeg

9. Spacetime Anomaly, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

Spacetime Anomaly thread starter macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

Yeah, I used AppCleaner and ticked all the boxes. It's a shame the library manager doesn't have a 're-index' option, or something.

10. Spacetime Anomaly thread starter macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

SOLVED

After re-downloading a few sounds I decided to perform a Finder search (including system files), and I found files in /System/Library/Receipts with titles like:

com.apple.pkg.MAContent10_AssetPack_0005_AlchemyStrings.plist
    and:
    com.apple.pkg.MAContent10_AssetPack_0005_AlchemyStrings.bom
    etc.

I copied anything with MAContent10 in it’s name from my old mac to my new one, but couldn’t copy them into the /System/Receipts folder (for obvious reasons) so I copied them to the hard-drive’s /Library/Receipts folder instead.

All of my previously downloaded sounds are now listed as "Installed" in the Sound Library Manager, allowing me to see which of them are "Incomplete" and simply need updating.

Excellent.

11. elmusicany macrumors newbie

Kindly explain in more steps cause I have the same issue, Thanks in advance

12. 0009827 Suspended

Upgrade logic to 10.4.2 or greater, it has new option added to move sound library to another drive.