Logic Pro X on 21.5-inch: 2.7GHz?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by LucasG, Nov 26, 2013.

1. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

I'm interested in learning to use Logic Pro X and I was wondering if an entry 21.5" iMac would be sufficient to get started with mixing and producing. I guess a year later I can consider upgrading to something more serious once I learn and get the hang of it, I just want to make sure I have room for it to work properly and advance enough on it. I'll also be using it for web development (HTML/CSS/Photoshop/etc).

Suggestions are welcome!

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Yes, the entry level iMac is more than sufficient if you're just getting started. Some of my friends even work on MacBook Airs.

3. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

I'm currently in my third year of University, and I mix and record on my 13" MBA and a i5 Mac Mini using Logic Pro X, Pro 9, Ableton and Pro Tools.
    They both do a great job. The MBA is a little better at mixing though.

I would kill for a 2.7ghz iMac over my Mac Mini, it'll do a great job!

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

It will work fine. Not a lot of reason to upgrade later either. I like 27" better especially for photos and video as I can see more at the same time. Logic does not require a lot of processing power.

If you are using Logic and have some extra cash spend it on microphone, audio interface, room treatments, monitor speakers, headphones and a very robust and redundant backup system that includes off-site storage.

5. koban4max macrumors 68000

if you're doing music video..with audio stuff...than u might consider something better.

6. Phazer macrumors member

Logic's core engine is really poor, even with a more powerful hyperthreading cpu, you'd still run into cpu overloads.
    From what I've seen Logic only uses 2 cores, the remaining 6 are barely touched.
    Pro Tools 11 is just on another planet.
    So yea, go with the base model, and just like the others have said invest the remaining money on audio interface and plugins.

7. patent10021, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

This is BS. Pro Tools troll.

Logic on my 2011 i7 Mac Mini server/16GB is fast and my projects commonly have about 24 channels loaded with Native Instruments strings, pianos, etc with a few Waves plugs ON EACH TRACK. I have the buffer up at max unless I'm recording. Huge 50GB libraries btw.

I think I'll be upgrading to SSD because I'm impatient and I don't like waiting for things to load/open. Especially hundreds of plugs and my Adobe CC projects. This will improve sample streaming as well I'm sure. I'm still researching the efficacy of SSD as it applies to streaming and Logic performance. I need lots of storage so the small SSDs are holding me back from pulling the trigger.

Btw, I have a 27" TBD and Logic is really fun on it. But then again I use it for all my 1080p movies as well. The smaller iMac will be just fine. Have fun.

p.s. just noticed this. You might be interested in it.

8. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

Thanks patent10021! That's some good deal IMO, even if refurbished!

9. Phazer, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

Phazer macrumors member

:rolleyes:
    Dude, I suggest you think twice before you call people you don't even know "trolls".
    For home usage Logic is fine, 24 channels is nothing, and Komplete is not a CPU hog, so what you're saying is not at all impressive.
    I work as a mixing engineer, the average project will have anywhere from 70 to 90 tracks. Usually recorded at 88.2khz if not higher. Try loading that amount of tracks with waves, izotope, mcdsp, komplete, automations, and look at your CPU meter.
    I'll bet you anything you'll be topping out 2 cores while the remaining sit there almost idle.
    I use Logic all the time, it's great and its midi capabilities are BY FAR better than pro tools', and the workflow is excellent. The only reason why I started using pro tools in the first place really is because that's what I find in studios.
    The only reason why you think Logic's engine is good is beacuse you're obviously not squeezing it CPUwise.
    Anyway this isn't a pro tools vs logic thread, I couldn't care less, I own both and use both. They are just DAWs, work instruments that do the same thing in different ways. To each their own. If you can use both, even better.
    OP, any mac you buy will be more than powerful enough for a long time.

10. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Oh ok so the OP wants to run 70-90 tracks loaded with CPU intensive plugs on each track on an iMac? I don't think so. You obviously didn't read his post.
    Does that sound like a guy who needs 70-90 tracks loaded with ripoff Digi, Slate and McDSP plugs? The only people who covet PT are guys over 50 who can't see the light like film camera guys were with DSLRs. Are those products good? Sure. Are they needed? Definitely not and there are Grammy award winning engineers not using PT at home. Guys are making Hollywood film soundtracks at home without PT. A simple Google search will provide proof.

He wants an upgradeable solution. He only needs to keep Logic X and upgrade to a Mac Pro. By the time he's ready, Logic X and the Mac Pro will perform even better as will PT and everything else.

OP needs to read the Gearslutz forum and he'll see for himself that PT is not needed in 2014. Is it a good idea for him to familiarise himself with PT? Sure, why not. Logic is making much bigger advances. Logic's Flex Pitch alone is kicking Melodyne's butt. Nothing better from any company. OP can YouTube that too.

11. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Lucas. Please be careful when buying an iMac. The Fusion drives in the new iMacs are causing problems for audio / DAW users. Audio pops and clicks etc. It is now well documented and Apple is looking into it. You could swap with SSD or 7200 rpm drives etc to avoid the problem. Actually I recommend getting the top Mac Mini instead. You can carry it in your backpack as I do Japan<->Canada and you can just purchase some decent monitor for Adobe CC for under a few hundred $. Setup will still be cheaper than an iMac or about the same. But wait for the new Haswell Mac Mini's that are coming out soon. Or buy the older Mac Mini on the cheap when Haswell comes out.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

Logic Pro X ships with an 84 track demo project. Running that project on my 2013 11" MacBook Air (i7) takes about 25% CPU, divided equally among all four cores.

13. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Like I said, he's a Pro Tools troll :cool:

14. Phazer macrumors member

Yea sure, having an opinion different than yours makes me a troll