Logic Pro X Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Futhark, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Hi all, I have been reading up on Logic Pro X and it sounds really impressive and I would love to give it a go but I've no idea how to record my vocals or instruments? I'm assuming I have to purchase something else to plug my mics and guitars etc into which will then plug into my MacBook Pro?

Thanks in advance

2. TheHerdForever macrumors member

TheHerdForever

Go to this website -> http://tweakheadz.com/ and it will answer all of your computer music questions. The site is busy, but it's very good if you want to understand how to build, create and produce music using a computer .... Mac and PC. Enjoy, and please let me know how it goes for you!! BTW, the answer to your question is "Yes", you will need external gear.

Frank A.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes, you will need a USB audio interface.

4. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

I own the Behringer USB Podcaststudio so this should get me started then?

What about guitar effects? I can link a pedal board through this device I assume but doesn't Logic Pro X have it's own sounds etc? How can you maybe change from a clean to a dirty sound while recording? I assume this is possible?

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm setting up a pro recording studio at the moment. What is your budget? I can help you itemize an entire studio if I know your budget. I'll list the gear I use so you can get an idea of a high end modern setup. You will need:

Interface - (firewire 800 is best) with pre amps (try to get at least 2 XLR in channels with preamps for a little extra recording flexibility... having only 1 pre amp in an interface creates a little bottleneck)

I use: Interface with 4 Preamps and 4 Extra Preamps

Connected with this audiophile cable Audioquest Diamond

Microphones - depends on what type of instruments you are recording. Here is what I use: Drum Pack Mics Snare Top Mic Vocal / Guitar Cab / Drum Room Mic Vocal / Guitar Cab / Kick Mic and Drum Overhead Mic

Cables - if you are serious about your studo quality recordings then get all Mogami Gold cables. XLR to XLR, Mono 1/4 Inch, Stereo 1/4 Inch, whatever you need. Shorter cables are better for least signal loss... on my drums I'm using 8 6' cables into the preamps.

Computer + DAW - Mac plus Logic X takes care of this.

Mixing and Mastering - you can use the digital mixing board or get a hardware board. I don't use a hardware mixer. You'll be okay getting by with Logic's compressor plug ins and what not. The Universal Audio system has its own high end plug ins for mixing and mastering but they cost a lot of money. Here they are UAD 2 Plug Ins

Headphones / Monitors - I use these for mixing, they'll do the job DT 770 PRO

6. steve119 macrumors 6502

A pod xt live is what I use to record into my imac using Logic Pro, can get them cheap or even a desktop line 6 ux1 plugin for mics and guitars.

Just a suggestion if you're on a budget. :)