Logic Pro

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by roadbloc, Jun 23, 2017.

1. roadbloc, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Hello everyone! Long time no post. Hope your PowerPC Macs are still screaming. :)

I could do with some advice. I am currently making a game and I am at the stage where I'd like to begin making a soundtrack for it. My original plan was to use my copy of Pro Tools M-Powered, but it seems my disc is scratched beyond repair and since it was kinda flaky on my iMac anyway, I figured it was time to seek alternative software that maybe ran a bit better.

That is when my attention turned to Logic Pro. With it being made by Apple, it was sure to run better on OS X than Pro Tools did. I was wondering which version I should use and if anybody has any demo/download links for it so I can give it a spin before I purchase a copy. Versions of 7 and 8 are going pretty cheap on ebay now but it'd be nice to see how different versions run before I plunge cash into it.

Just so y'all know, these are my specs.
    800 MHz PowerPC G4
    1GB SDRAM
    OS X 10.4.11

Much appreciated!

(PS. If anyone wants to try out my game, I've uploaded it here! It regretfully wont work on PowerPC Macs, but it should function fine on Intel Macs, Windows and Linux. Any feedback or questions on it are more than welcome!)

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Will you be looking to record audio via an interface or just construct using loops and found samples? I've never run Logic sub 1Ghz but would guess it might be a struggle at 800Mhz (plus the slow HD on the iMac - if it's stock).
    If you're not putting audio into the iMac I'd recommend Propellerheads Reason 3 and below, it's incredibly CPU efficient and even works well on G3s.

3. roadbloc, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

I was hoping to do a combination of both. I have a copy of Reason 4 that seems to run okay on the hardware which I was hoping to rewire into Logic or Pro Tools. If Reason 3 runs better though, I may have to add that to my purchase list too. Just so you know, my HDD is relatively new and performs much better than the original one did. :)

Maybe instead of LP 7 or 8 I should be looking for version 6?

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

You could try Reaper out for free - it might suit your needs?
    Using Rewire will place great strain on your iMac - you could export each track from Reason and load it into your chosen DAW to lower the CPU load. Depending on your needs, even Garageband will work in that fashion.