Logic project - mp3/aac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dannewell15, Nov 6, 2007.

1. dannewell15 macrumors regular

Hey guys. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to audio recording and I'm having difficulty in Logic 8. I have a whole project with multiple tracks and all of them are MIDI tracks from my maudio 61es. How do I export (bounce) it all to an mp3 or aac. Whenever I try it I just get a blank audio file. Please help this is music GCSE.

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Your problem is that midi files contain no sound data! They only have note on, note off, and other controller information. To record your stuff you need to send the midi information to sound generating equipment, such as external synthesizers, samplers, drum machines, or internal soft synths, etc. Then you must get the sound that is being generated recorded as a new track (or as new tracks). You need to consult your manual for Logic, and also your manuals for the device(s) you use to generate sound.

3. dannewell15 thread starter macrumors regular

how does garageband do it? Thats the sort of thing that I want but now I have my whole project in Logic and I used Logic because of the score abilities. Do I have to have an external device? I don't :S I didn't think I would neccessarily need one. Please everyone else who has any ideas help. Thanks.

4. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Dude your going to need to do your research!

In a nutshell, you're going to need to 'render' the MIDI file to a audio file (such as a WAVE or AIFF format) using logic. If you only have a computer and logic, you can get away with using logics own software synthesizers (VST, or VSTi's (plugins) to produce the sounds from the MIDI file into a digital audio file.

Your last stage will be to convert this rendered WAVE/AIFF file to a MP3/AAC.

So:

MIDI file -> Logic [containing inbuilt synths, or use VSTi's] -> [render to WAVE/AIFF] -> [convert to MP3/AAC]