Logic Studio: 2.53 or 2.8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Feb 23, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to decide if spending about an extra $250 is worth getting a 2.8 MBP model. I'm going to be using my MBP for pretty basic things like surfing the net, putting pictures I take with my digital camera on there, itunes, and ichat. Logic Studio will probably be the only really large program I plan on using. I also plan on buying Snow Leopard when it comes out. I hope to get a good 4 years out of this computer so I don't mind spending the extra cash if it will make a difference in the long run. Should I go with the 2.8 or the 2.53? Thanks

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

You'll upgrade the CPU now, feel good for a while, but when new models come, you're not going to care anymore, and you'll be out $250.

Will you notice a performance difference? Not in daily use. Maybe if you were encoding video, you'd save some time, but that's only if you have something to compare it too, and it's not a substantial amount. I know from experience.

Save the money and upgrade the RAM or HDD to SSD.

3. stevieapollo macrumors member

get the 2.8 i had it used it with logic and never ran into a system overload problem. i loved it. i actually sold it only to buy the new 17 inch.. i kinda regret it tho..

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

buy the 2.8GHz, will last JUST that bit longer.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The new models are always coming... and $250 will be easily made back in 5 years.

Just get the 2.8, unless your really stuck for money.

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

i can say the same for the 2.53.
    i never ran into a system overload.
    i think for logic is more relevant to get a 7200rpm disk, because cpu never really bumped into a problem, but disk.. hah. thats another story. :)
    +disk can be very quickly full if you do audio :D so.. firewire hdd is mandatory
    by the way, i said 7200rpm intentionally, because SSD has crummy write speeds, so if you plan to do any serious recording... but if you dont than SSD is fine anyway.

7. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

I'm with repo on this. You won't notice the difference between a 2.53 and a 2,8 GHz computer. Get the full complement of memory though (you'll need it). My laptop is a 15" 2.53 GHz with 4 GB RAM; jnever had a problem (and I am running many many synthesizers at once in Logic and MainStage).

8. Ploki macrumors 68000

that AND
    you can always Freeze a track you are currently not editing. :)
    i never had to before though. :)

9. juliancs macrumors 6502

Wit Logic, you want to make sure you have more RAM over anything else - I have an AU that needs an entire GB RAM just to sit active!!

10. Ploki macrumors 68000