Logic Studio Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hurricane310, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Hurricane310 macrumors newbie

Hi im new to the forum but I have a question about running Logic Studio.

I have the 2.0 GHz Unibody Aluminum MacBook and I know on the apple site it says this system would meet the requirements but it does seem to be pushing it.

So my question is would my laptop run this software fairly smoothly or would it be in my best interest to upgrade?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

There are minimum requirements and then there are "running it well" requirements with all software. If you're at min now, you may end up frustrating yourself trying to coax Logic along. You'll want to think about having some head room specs-wise as Logic gets upgraded as time moves forward. I would also want more screen real estate, but that's just a personal pref and if you're doing your work at a desk, you can always add an external monitor to take care of that issue on your current machine.

3. blueicedj macrumors 6502

Logic studio has a minimum requirement of 1.25 ghz, you should be fine.

4. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

There are many different ways to use Logic. I use it for field recording on a MB 1.83 with 2GB RAM. Recording 8 tracks simultaniously, managing monitoring, and applying a few effects is smooth, quick, and without stutter. If you choose to use many FX and many software instruments (like Ivory which comes with a 40 GB library), you might run into performance problems.

I think, the bottleneck will be HD speed or RAM, rather than the CPU.

It's easy to bring down any DAW just by using many instances of plugins etc. Even my Mac Pro comes to a grinding halt when I overdo things. I even have additional hardware (from UAD) to relieve the main CPU.

Short answer: Depending on what you do, you might be fine. Getting a slightly faster notebook doesn't make much of a difference. Max out the RAM, maybe get a faster drive (or an external drive if feasible).

5. tommy086 macrumors newbie

logic studio vrs yamaha aw1600

Hi I just recently got logic studio and was wondering if its worth buying the yamaha aw1600 multi track recorder (i got a really good price for it) or would it be a waste of money?

Does logic do everything i need as regards recording editing, mixing?

Another thing, can you use keyboard typing with logic or is it compulsory to plug a guitar or keyboard in to it?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid i only recently bought my mac.

6. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Yes, Logic does do everything you need. The only functionality of the aw 1600 that your Mac + Logic doesn't have out of the box is studio quality audio ins. Depending on how many inputs you need (simultaneously), you might want to look at

TASCAM US-122 L (2 ins with mic amps, 2 outs)
    TASCAM US-1641 (8 ins, 4 outs)

It's easy to spend a lot of money on these a/d-d/a converters, even thousands of $. I use a RME Fireface 800, but then, I run a recording studio.

Yes, you can use the computer keyboard for input, but the results will be mediocre. Keyboards or drum pads also transmit dynamics. USB keyboards start at $50.