Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
Hi everybody.

So i've finally been convinced, I'm going Mac next week. Of course I'll wait until after the keynote. Especially since my local Apple dealer very strongly recommended that I should wait, when I went to by the 24", 2,4Ghz iMac last tuesday (I wonder why He did that???).

Back to my question.
I'm wondering, if any of you guys know how Logic Studio runs on the iMac
aluminum 24", 2,4 Ghz. My budget dosn't really allows me to go further than that, since I also have to purchase Logic Studio (switching from Nuendo 3)

Is it way of to by the 2,4Ghz iMac and max it out with ram?
Would I be much better of buying the downgraded (to single q-core) new Mac Pro and a cheap display, eventhough this would cost around 1500$ extra (incl. display), and that it would mean, that I've have to wait for a couple of months more, to save up for it?

I'm looking forward to join the "family"

Best regards

Macchino

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Hi everybody.

So i've finally been convinced, I'm going Mac next week. Of course I'll wait until after the keynote. Especially since my local Apple dealer very strongly recommended that I should wait, when I went to by the 24", 2,4Ghz iMac last tuesday (I wonder why He did that???).

Back to my question.
I'm wondering, if any of you guys know how Logic Studio runs on the iMac
aluminum 24", 2,4 Ghz. My budget dosn't really allows me to go further than that, since I also have to purchase Logic Studio (switching from Nuendo 3)

Is it way of to by the 2,4Ghz iMac and max it out with ram?
Would I be much better of buying the downgraded (to single q-core) new Mac Pro and a cheap display, eventhough this would cost around 1500$ extra (incl. display), and that it would mean, that I've have to wait for a couple of months more, to save up for it?

I'm looking forward to join the "family"

Best regards

Macchino

Hi and in advance, welcome to the fold.

I have actually been in a similar situation to you. I've been saving up for a Macbook Pro (but my insurance company replaced my G4 powerbook with a Macbook Pro for free), so I've been looking at using the money to replace my Windows desktop PC with a Mac desktop.

I was looking at the prices in the UK (that's where I'm from), and the Mac Pro (downgraded to a single 4 core 2.8GHz) is actually about £30 ($60) cheaper than the 24" 2.8GHz iMac.

The main issue I have with the iMac is that all the parts are notebook parts (it's effectively a Macbook Pro in a desktop form with a bigger screen), and as such, the maximum amount of RAM is 4GB (as the RAM is notebook memory), whereas the maximum amount of RAM that a Mac Pro is 32GB and it used desktop RAM which is far cheaper from third parties.

If you can afford the Mac Pro, you can get a 19" monitor for around $200 which would last you in the meantime while you're saving up for something bigger.

mcnicks

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
The one thing to watch is the noise from the fans. Its possible that the iMac fans are much better than they once were, but I found it very difficult to record music in the same room back then. Nowadays I have a much more advanced setup: a Powermac in the hall cupboard, a monitor in my bedroom and a small hole in the wall where I have fed the cables through :)

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
The one thing to watch is the noise from the fans. Its possible that the iMac fans are much better than they once were, but I found it very difficult to record music in the same room back then. Nowadays I have a much more advanced setup: a Powermac in the hall cupboard, a monitor in my bedroom and a small hole in the wall where I have fed the cables through :)

I use an aluminium iMac at work for video editing in Final Cut Pro and the fans are pretty quiet (as far as to say, I don't notice any noise).

I have ordered Logic Studio (being delivered tomorrow...YAY) to go with my Macbook Pro which is about the same spec as the iMacs. I'll let you know how I get on if you like?

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
Hi again, and thankyou for the replies.

The thing is that the Humac (Apple) dealer here in Copenhagen have a 450$ discount when you by the 24" 2,4 Ghz iMac AND Logic studio together. Furthermore, the 2,8 Ghz costs about 750 more than the 2,4 Ghz. Thats why the price gap gets so big.

Mcnicks: -> Sounds like a nice setup you have.;). Regarding the fans... Good point, i will look into that - maybe someone here knows if they are loud?

Gazfocus: -> That was a very kind ensurance company:)

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
I have ordered Logic Studio (being delivered tomorrow...YAY) to go with my Macbook Pro which is about the same spec as the iMacs. I'll let you know how I get on if you like?

Thanks gazfocus... That's very kind of you.

I cant wait to get started with Logic either.

Imagine not having to bounce all your tracks on a project, every single time you have to bring it to another studio, because they all use Logic and pro-tools... Ahhhh... then life will be soooo much easier:)

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Thanks gazfocus... That's very kind of you.

I cant wait to get started with Logic either.

Imagine not having to bounce all your tracks on a project, every single time you have to bring it to another studio, because they all use Logic and pro-tools... Ahhhh... then life will be soooo much easier:)

No probelm Macchino :)

I don't do a lot of recording but with my student discount I got Logic Studio for £118 for the Higher Education store here in the UK, so can't wait for it to come and give it a go :)

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Damn thats cheap!!! That must to be an upgrade or???

Why don't we have student discount in Denmark:( (Yeah 2% but thats not really a discount. Is it...)

Yeah it is cheap, and no it's the full version (The upgrade is actually more expensive...It's something like £148).

2% isn't very good at all. For Apple computers (MBP's, Macbooks, Mac Mini's, Mac Pro's, and iMacs), we get 14% off here :)

sk123456

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
logic pro

high I have been looking everywhere for logic pro at this discount price and have only found one place called andertons in the uk however they only give this discount if you are part of the academy of contemporary arts not any other university. I was just wondering how you got logic so cheap? any help will be much appreciated.

thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.