Logic Studio: Dual Core or wait for Nehalem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Dec 30, 2008.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I apologize, I'm not the most computer savvy person out there. Needless to say, I have a question regarding a future Macbook Pro I will be buying. Basically, I plan to use my MBP for web browsing, iChat, burning cd's, and Logic Studio. I guess my question would be, would having Nehalem in the future be worth waiting for since I will be using a demanding program like Logic Studio? Or would I really not notice any difference if I got a 2.53 dual core MBP now? I'm really not in a huge rush. I know that Nehalem isn't expected to come out until 2010. I just want a computer that will last me a good 3-5 years and I am willing to wait if Nehalem would make that much of a better difference for what I need.

Also, is there a possibility that Nehalem could provide better battery life to the Macbook Pro?

Thanks!

2. pnyc macrumors 6502

2010 is a long way off ...

It seams that you do not need a MBP right now nor even really want one since you're fine with waiting until 2010. Going by just that assumption alone you should not buy a MBP right now.

It's not easy to speculate about where exactly we're going to be a year from now and Nehalem itself isn't the only thing you should be thinking about as far as what will make the future MBPs faster.

If you're willing to wait until 2010 then you can be sure that whatever MBP will be out by then it is going to be significantly faster then what's available now.

If the rumors/expectations/predictions are true Snow Leopard should give us significant multicore optimization, better memory utilization/management as well as OpenCL combine those OS improvements with quad core mobile cpus, faster video cards that the OS can tap into, 8GB+ of RAM, SDD ...

Regardless of all these changes they will all have a minimal effect on most of the things you're planing to use your MBP for i.e. web browsing, iChat, burning cd's.

It's important to remember that there is always something better on the horizon and if you keep delaying waiting for the next best thing that's just around the corber you'll never make up your mind to buy anything.

3. ManWithhat macrumors regular

Don't forget USB 3.0 .

Also, when you're talking more than a year and a half away, ANY computer will be obsolete by then - even the nehalem based MBP will be obsolete in another year and a half after its release. That's how it goes.

4. josh2007 macrumors member

I used to run Logic on my 867 Quicksilver with nary a problem. You just couldn't load up too nany reverb plugs. I upgraded to 1.25 dual and Logic never even broke a sweat.

I am now on MBP 2.53 4 gigs, and I doubt I could ever bring it to it's knees with Logic running dozens of plugs.

5. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

See, this is the thing with buying electronics. If you always think along the lines of "oh there will soon be a better/faster/prettier/cheaper model", you are never going to happily buy anything at all.

So my advice would be, if you don't need a laptop now, why would you need it when Nehalem comes out? If there is an expected change in your life/work style between now and Q3 2009, and you would actually require a powerful laptop by that time, then wait. But if there's no rush for you to buy one now and no change in your circumstances by the time Nehalem comes out, just because its faster doesn't justify spending $2000+ on a laptop.

All of your needs besides Logic Studio can be fulfilled right now with a $300 netbook, by the way.

6. cyklops macrumors newbie

well i just bought a unibody macbook pro and also plan to use it mainly with logic studio, so far its great i have never been happier !! its running perfectly with logic.

7. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Logic isn't too heavy on the processor, runs on my macbook just fine.

Computers will always be outdated in the next year. Increases in performance are relativley minimal - even when nehalem comes out apple may not take it up straight away. I'd buy now if you need it... if your just fine then wait. Buy when you want to.