Logic Studio on dual 1ghz processor, do you think it will function?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by tekboi, Oct 8, 2007.

1. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I'm waiting on my copy of Logic Studio to arrive any day now. But My G4 processor is Garbage. Its only a dual 1ghz. Do you think I will have any problems? the recommended specs say it needs 1.25ghz @ least. On the other hand I do have 2gb of memory,

What do you guys think? the specs don't seem to far off.

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You'll probably be ok, as long as it doesn't have a disable function like the old OS9 apps used to (where you'd have to trick the app into thinking your machine was running higher than it was). It'll probably lag a bit, though. What model machine do you have? I'd keep an eye on ebay and CL for processor upgrades...

3. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

No, I actually installed it already. But Logic Studio warns me when i start up about my specs. My memory should arrive soon soon. It really runs like crap w/ the 512 mb of ram I have installed currently.

Its a Mirror Drive Door g4 mac.
    I saw the processor on macsales.com, but thats another 500-600 dollar i would have to spend.
    I already bit the bullet and bought logic studio. I can't afford to dish out another 600 dollars for a cpu upgrade @ the moment.
    Hopefully the memory will do the trick.

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

It'll run. Of course, the more software instruments, the fewer tracks and the more problematic. Freeze as much as you can, so you are not running too many tracks and plug-ins.

5. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Yea, i'm mainly using Logic to rewire w/ Reason 4. So I know its gonna drain some cpu. I'll eventually get a cpu upgrade and everything. In the mean time I hope this works

6. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Spending that money on a Mac Mini would likely be a much better performance upgrade.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Agreed, but the max RAM and drive speeds of the minis is a liability in audio recording. Especially the drive speed.

I do advise against upgrading your MDD's processor. Unfortunately, you have one of the pricier to upgrade G4s. I'd look around ebay or Craigslist when you're ready to, but really you might as well look around for a low end G5 or even a G5 or Intel imac used or refurbed.

And yes, more RAM will make a HUGE difference, as a lot of the A/D conversion happens in RAM.

8. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i was still editing on my dual 800 G4 quicksilver rig up until a few weeks ago and im sure it could have been faster but i still dont find it that big of a deal. its better than nothing

9. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

UPDATE:

Opened Demo Project by The Roots.
    Song would not play past 3 seconds because of cpu overload.

The ram arrives on friday.

Hope this works :eek:

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Just depends what you're updating WITH. I still use a G3 for tracking with Cubase VST 5 in OS9. It doesn't matter for a clean track. But if you buy the most current software, its demands are higher.

11. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Just recieved and installed ram

Didn't help at all. Actually made things worst. The memory drains the cpu. Logic pro can barely handle one track of audio without freezing up. It's definitely the cpu in this thing. I might as well start saving up for a new mac. Its gonna cost just as much by the time i order a new harddrive, video card, Cpu, and soundcard. Might as well put all of that money towards a mac.

12. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

That's a real bummer, dude.

Put the thing to some good use, though! File server or something when you get your new mac :)