Logic Studio Pro or Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by k2spitfire88, May 28, 2009.

1. k2spitfire88 macrumors 6502

I am a musician who has recently begun doing recording on my own and with my band. Which of the two is the better option for starting off? Probably Express, but what would I lose if I choose Express over Pro? I would like to weigh my options before I make the decision. Thanks.

2. Badradio macrumors 6502

The main difference between Express and Pro is the library of loops and instruments you get. If most of your recording is audio - such as guitars and mic'd instruments, a lot of the value of Pro is lost on you. Aside from that, there's a mastering application and an app for formatting surround sound and a couple of other things. The core application: Logic Express vs Logic Pro is practically identical.

Don't forget you can upgrade to Pro from Express for the same price difference as buying the full versions, so you lose nothing buying Express then upgrading later, other than having the inconvenience of two boxes.

3. McScooby macrumors 6502

It's a no brainer..

In Uk higher ed store , logic pro is marginally more expensive that express, if you don't need the loops don't install them, however if you do, you got them otherwise you pay full price to get them again, always best having more than less!

4. Ben Kei macrumors regular

Logic Express does also limit the number of insert/send effects you can have on a single channel.

I think the limit is 4 but don't hold me to that!

Also you lose out on a few of the instruments and effects, although if you're using it for live recording most of these won't be a huge loss (except the Space designer reverb and Delay designer which are both delicious)

but as has been stated already, you can update to pro later on if express doesn't do everything you need it to.

5. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I think the cost difference between the two is more than offset by the value of the Loop packs that come included with Logic Pro. If you think you'll use those, then it's well worth the extra $$, IMHO.

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

I didn't know that, and I've been researching the differences for a while. I wish Apple would publish a gap analysis like Adobe do.

@ k2spitfire88: whatever you decide, wait until after WWDC before buying. There's a good chance they'll be upgraded then.

7. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Is there now? I'm in the same boat, just started recording, and decided on Pro since I'll be using a USB keyboard (it comes with some nice vintage keyboards) and thinking about getting an akai MPD midi controller, and I might like to have the extra loops and samples for that. Express is 99$, Studio is $175, and you can't upgrade the academic stuff so I figured Studio is a pretty safe bet.

I put down a deposit last week while they ordered it for me, but I've decided not to go pick it up until WWDC, just in case (I'll ditch the $20 deposit if logic 9 magically comes out).

8. Badradio macrumors 6502

I just checked the specs on this, and both versions support 15 inserts and 8 sends per channel. More than I'll ever need, but good to know.

All I'm basing this on is rumours from here and other tech sites, but the arrival of Snow Leopard later this year makes me think it's highly likely. Logic is due for an update, so I'd expect it to be released with compatibility for the new Snow Leopard technologies. Those I think are worth waiting for - better multi-core supprot and being able to pass processing onto the graphics card are killer features for me.

9. Ben Kei macrumors regular

Wow, that's great.

Must have been an improvement in Version 8, it was certainly the case that 7 had a limited effects chain.

Ben

10. musiklava macrumors newbie

Logical to buy Logic Express 8

I currently have Logic Express 8 :cool:

I did my research and there is not a huge difference between Express and Pro.

Once I swallow all Express I am planning to upgrade.

Don't forget to buy the Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8
    book by David Nahmani :)

11. salientstimulus macrumors member

revive this thread?

I already have LE, and I'm also trying to decide if it's worth it for me to upgrade (or whether that $300 should go to the better hardware fund!).

My take so far:

Effects - the Multipressor is a big selling point for me. I like some of the sounds that the preset version has in LE, and having actual control over it would be awesome. Space designer is also a draw, and delay designer is probably something I would use at least occasionally. Additional channel strip settings sounds nice too, maybe save some time compared to dialing things in.

Other apps - Don't expect I'd ever use Soundtrack or MainStage, but WaveBurner sounds like it'd be handy for final mastering (hoping to finish an album's worth of material in the next few months). Anyone have good/bad opinions of WaveBurner? Is it useful?

Library - Broadly, I make folk/rock type music, so I'm pretty sparing with synths, and I really have no interest in drum kits that aren't good enough to fool the casual listener. I don't use loops. Definitely interested in sampled instruments, though, if the quality is high (for example, in LE, the Yamaha piano, upright bass, and UltraDrummer studio kit). In particular, if the additional string samples and drum kits are very realistic, that might be a deal maker.

So, what do you think? Are there other features of LS vs LE do you really appreciate?