Logic Studio Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SD-B, Oct 27, 2009.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Hi, I was given a box that says LOGIC STUDIO, upgrade from Logic Express or Big Box by a customer but I dont dare tell them I am not interested in it and cant use it. So I have a couple of questions but he is the LAST person I could go to about this.

1) This is an upgrade. Does that mean, 100% that someone without ANY earlier software cannot load this on to their mac and have it work?
    I know people do not need to buy the full SnowLeopard for example wheras just the upgrade will do the trick, so is it possible, that this is the same with Logic Studio???

2) Im in Toronto for what that is worth but the price tag on this box says $359 yet I am 99.9% sure this came from an Apple Store.
    Yet when I look at the website for this, I see 3 different versions with 3 different prices, for example, below........

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/MB795#overview

1- Full Version $499

2) - Upgrade from Logic Pro or Logic Studio $199

3) Upgrade from Logic Express or Big Box $299

Obviously, #3 is the one that i have, yet the price on the box i have says very clearly, $359..........why does the Apple website only show it at $299?

I dont need this and although it was a lovely gift I WONT ever use it so I am trying to sell it but in order for me to do so, I have to understand why the price discrepancy as well as answer questions from others, such as whether it can be used on a Mac that does not have an earlier install

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...the $299 price for the upgrade is the USA price - if you look at Apple Canada it is $359. When installing the upgrade version it will prompt for an eligible Logic Express serial number if it does not find Logic Express on the computer.....oh yeah!

3. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Ah thank you..........now i get it. One last question if you dont mind?
    Someone has asked me if this will be ok if they have logic studio 7.2.x (full version) on their Mac....will this work for that one?

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I would just be guessing as my install was the Express upgrade version. The docs are generic for all versions and say for Logic 7 it will prompt for the USB XSkey...whether it will be okay with the express upgrade version I can't say for sure...I'd suggest calling Apple and asking perhaps....oh yeah!

5. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

thanks for all of your help........thats all i need to find out now is whether or not, when this is installed, this upgrade version, it will then ask for the earlier password for the persons earlier installed version.
    If so, that means they will have to go digging around to find it and if like myself, who ever has that right at their fingertips, i know i dont!!!

Thanks, I just really wanted to know why Apple wouldnt have taken it back yet today I had to take something back to HENRYS camera store i didnt have a receipt to either and they were more than happy to give me a credit note or a straight exchange.
    So not happy that Apple wouldnt have done the same, but at least now i understand why