Logic Studio v. Digital Performer

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by RUFiO795, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RUFiO795 macrumors member

I'm setting up a home studio and was planning on purchasing Digital Performer 5 along with the MOTU Ultralite hardware interface to run on my MacBook Pro, but now I'm intrigued by the release of Logic Studio.

I have more experience with DP5 and have never used Logic, but it looks like LS ships with far more included plugins, post-production apps, synths, etc. than DP5...can anyone give me a comparison between the two programs or even build up/trashtalk one or the other to help me decide? Thanks-

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

workflow is more important than which plugs come with, imho. try before you buy to see if you like Logic.

3. MacInbowl macrumors newbie

I have used Digital Performer for about 7 years now and still is. Last year, after 6 month of thincking and questionning, I decided to buy Logic Pro. The lurning curve was pretty tough. Logic is not as simple and intuitive as DP is. It is very powerfull though. It's more "cpu efficient" and the bundled software instrument sound better than some that Motu included in DP5. I still use both.

Here's my working habitude:
    Record: Both Logic and DP
    Edit: DP
    Composing and playing music: Logic
    Mixing: DP
    Mastering: Logic

So, if you're new to DAW or if you do mainly recording, I'd go for DP but if you're a muscian, I'd go for Logic. There are great resource for learning Logic.

So for my experience, I wouldn't live without both!

Good shopping!

Mat

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Lots of DP users use DP for the film scoring tools, where DP shines. Logic does come with far more instruments, good reverbs, good EQs, and other stuff. I would vote for Logic for the sheer number of instruments and effects you get, if you are going to be looking to use lots of soft synths and instruments.

Some other general comments:

Digital Performer is known for being rock solid and stable. Check out this interview of the sound guy who does Madonna's shows.

...where as Logic is known for not being stable. Crashes or hangups in Logic occur, but it usually depends on what kind of third party plugins you are pushing at the time.

Also working with audio in Logic is somewhat of a pain some say, whereas working with midi is wonderful and one of its strong points. So if you are going to be doing a lot with audio, I'd strongly consider DP.

I think there's a DP demo, and a Logic Express demo out there as well. So play around with those demos.

5. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

But if you need the plugins, Logic's are of such good quality that it could save you thousands of $ you otherwise could easily spend on 3rd party equivalents.

I've used Logic 7, 6 and 5 and love it, (and am currently installing Logic Studio) I didn't find the learning curve hard, I just spent every spare hour of every day on it. Remember you can customize Logic and create lots of key commands so Logic works For you, and not you working for Logic, :D

IMO, Logic studio cannot be beat for price or content :)

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's great that logic works for you. i bought it (AND exs24, when it was still sold separately) and never used it, because i spent more time trying to figure out the darn thing than actually being productive. so it wasn't such a good deal after all.

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    no clear answer...

i make my living using DP and love it. i found logic to be counterintuitive to me but some of my fellow composers use it with great results....guess it just depends.

fwiw, one of the composers in my company uses cuebase and reason...and writes amazing sounding stuff.

as far as plugs go...i haven't found many of the logic or DP plugs to be all that great...except for the delays. i use vintage neve's on the front end, along with 1176's...and a focusrite liquid mix and ozone for much of my plug in destruction.

DP 5.11 w/ 10.4.10 on an intel quad 2.66 is rock solid.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Funny, we like what we like.

I simply cannot use DP. I have it, and I just can't get past the UI and the workflow...at all. I like the plugs it comes with, and it is solid as hell.

I like Logic, way more, it makes total sense to me....And it's equally solid to me...

try the demo's if they exist.

9. RUFiO795 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input, everybody-

Looks like it really is a matter of opinion as to which program is better...I'll probably end up with DP just because I'm familiar with it. I'm not really in the mood to start at the bottom of another learning curve.

Now I'm going to try and turn this thread in a new direction, if that's even possible- what's the best DP-compatible hardware? I currently have a 2002/2003-era MBox (came with ProTools), but I'm looking at the MOTU Ultralite and I'm liking what I'm seeing (and the reviews that it's garnered). I'm not looking to spend more than 5 or 600 dollars...any suggestions or reviews of the Ultralite?

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    you should check out the forums @ www.unicornation.com .

it's an invaluable source for DP and MOTU information, gripes, praise, issues...

11. RUFiO795 thread starter macrumors member

Caved in and bought Logic

Just figured I'd give an update of my status and preliminary impressions of Logic Studio, which I finally decided to purchase....

...It's AWESOME. As a veteran of Pro Tools and Digital Performer, I do not find Logic Pro 8 to have a very steep learning curve at all (although I've read the 8 is much more...logical...than 7); most of the usual tools and whatnot seem very intuitive so far. Installation was easy, though the program is HUGE (full installation takes 45 gigs and requires installation on the internal hard drive), and from what I've seen of the Jampacks and included effects so far, there's a ton of useful, legit-sounding stuff. Couldn't be happier.

Haven't had a chance to explore the other programs yet, but I did open up Mainstage and it is, at the very least, visually impressive and it appears to include all sorts of solid features.

NOT bad, Apple.

12. nashvillemac macrumors newbie

Can an Imac 2.0 run 16 audio voices in Logic Express?

Hey
    (Veteran of ProTools TDM/beta tester for rollout of DP 1.0)

I sold my TDM Mix+ rig a few years ago (VERY REGRETFULLY)
    I now have limited funds and don't want to make a mistake. Maybe you young fellers' can help me.

I need to run 16 audio voices, 4band parametric eq and compressor on each channel, a bussed delay, a bussed early reflections verb, and a bussed big verb, a master bus stereo compressor - and some midi drums/instrument. Mainly audio. I have a Motu Ultralite on the way.

SO..can an Imac 2.0ghz dual core 800mhz 2 gig ram do it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

unless you're running some super-inefficient plugs, i doubt that machine would even break a sweat.

i regularly run 20-24 channels, w/ 30-60 plugs, tons of bussing (but no s/w insts) on my dual 2.0 GHz g5 w/ 2 gig RAM, and the most CPU it's used is about 50%.

14. uburoibob macrumors regular

I was a long time Cubase user. I also have DP which I used for a project with a long-distance collaberator. Logic was always a little obtuse for me. With Logic 7, I learned it and it became my system of choice...

I upgraded to Logic Studio, and I gotta say I am completely blown away by it. The interface is just incredible. The whole metaphor of configuring channel strips to your workflow is too cool. It's the most solid program I have.

I am just sinking my teeth into it, but so far it's mighty tasty!

Bob :D

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

For me it was a no brainer £119 for the full version of Logic Studio 8 (Higher Education discount) just can not be beaten by anything else out there. Even at full price Logic Studio is hard to beat.

I guess being a student money was a big consideration for me, things might be different for you :).

16. nashvillemac macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I have been sweating bullets over this purchase - I really appreciate your input.

Thanks!