Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redchannel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Which program is best suited for making electronic music ? i think the obvious answer is logic but can anyone tell me why or correct me if I'm wrong .

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Garage band is for kids, Logic Studio is for professionals, if your just messing around at home, try Garage Band for a few weeks, and if you need Logic Studio you wont need us to explain why, you'll just know.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
There is always the middle ground solution of using Logic Express, more features than garageband, but not quite as complete a package as Logic.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
If you look on the Apple website, you'll see testimonies from a lot of professional musicians who use Garageband for recording songs as they're composing - mixing together guitar, vocal and keyboards and engineering the mix. GB is a great editor for just laying out tracks and loops quickly, and it has some nice effects and options. If you just want to experiment with pre-recorded loops and add some vocals, it could be all you need.

The one thing GB lacks is accuracy. The editors lack the precision for adjusting/editing audio, and it can be frustrating trying to tweak tracks for timing. It also suffers from high latency when recording audio over USB.

Logic Express is a great package and offers all of the accuracy you'll need, and you'll almost certainly never find something you want to do that it doesn't support. As I record audio rather than working with samples, the extra price for Logic Studio is a waste of time, but the loop libraries it comes with could be worth it for you. In terms of the core packages - Logic Express 8 vs Logic Pro 8 - I've yet to find a difference, and suspect there isn't one.

Try out Garageband and see if it works for the music you want to create, and if it does, you can save a lot of cash. If it doesn't (I could see the limitations GB was applying to me from the first time I tried mixing a few audio tracks) look at the two Logic products and see which is going to work for you/your wallet.

Hope that helps.
BR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.