Logic Studio vs. Logic Express

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by I'm a Mac, Jan 22, 2009.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I'm into music, and I love experimenting with all of the different software instruments and I just saw the video for MainStage and it looked awesome. I know Logic Studio is usually expensive, but I can get it through school for only $150, and Logic express is just $70. Is Logic Studio way overkill for just clowning around/experimenting or should I take advantage of such a great deal?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If your just playing around Logic Studio would be way too much for you. Pricing is not bad anymore for Studio. Watch those educational prices though. There is no upgrade path to them. Meaning the next major release would require you to purchase the full program again, there is no upgrade option on educational software.

That said I really am a huge fan of Logic (90% of the reason I stay will Apple), but I am doing a lot with it. For just messing around with something a little more then garage band I would say Logic Express will suit you just fine. Back with Logic 7 I could not justify the $999 price point of Pro and when with express. It works well for more then just messing around. So I think express will be a good fit for you.

Take your time with it too. Although Apple has done a lot of work at streamlining Logic, some parts can be somewhat harder to learn. Logic was always the beast with the highest learning curve. Apple made it better, but still do not expect it to be garage band with more power.

Oh, also with Logic express you still get all the software synths and FXs and all that, mainly with express you will be limited to something like 48 audio tracks or something like that.

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would avoid academic versions unless you are only using the program to learn. synth3tik is right that you cannot upgrade the edu versions (although ed. 7 + full 8 was cheaper than full 7 + upgrade 8, I was on the wrong side).

Logic Express is a powerful program, but for $150, it would be pretty tempting to not get Studio. When it is time to upgrade, you can always buy the full version of the program.

One of the ways you can tell you need Logic Studio is that the $500 cost will seem like a crazy bargain.

4. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

Yes Express is a great value although the 48 track limit is not true!

Express is exactly the same as Studio except that it comes with a few less intruments and it doesnt come bundled with the extra programs like Mainstage,Waveburner, and less loops plus a few effects but I advise you and the original poster check out apples website and compare the specs on both programs, you will find that express holds up quiet nicely to Studio

Apple.com/logicstudio(click around each program included for specs) and Apple.com/logicexpress/specs

5. oban14 macrumors 6502a

6. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Exactly my attitude. I'm doing Logic at Uni this semester and was looking into possibly getting Logic Express to do session work outside of Uni (I have a Pro Tools rig at home). I checked on the education store, Logic Studio for £116! At that price its worth getting even if you aren't going to use it to its full potential. ITS A STEAL :)

JC

7. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I feel like for $150 it's really worth it. Question: My friend has one of those Roland (Or is it Korg) electric pianos and I was wondering; if I installed it on my laptop, how hard would it be to connect that kind of piano to an app like Mainstage?

8. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey I got Logic Studio today (£116).

It comes in the most amazing box. . with a whole load of disks and GIANT MANUALS . . .upon manuals. . . upon guides . . .and more manuals.

I can't wait to install it but i'm waiting on my AlumBook coming next week as my current lappy is full of Pro Tools stuff and doesn't have the 60gb of space required for install let alone audio files themselves.

P.S about the poster aboves question. . .

Mainstages manual seems to indicate it's Made for MIDI and therefore if the keyboard has that connection then your good to go.

9. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Could you PM me and let me know that goes? The only thing currently holding me back from buying Logic Studio is that I've heard of occasional problems when people have Logic and PT on the same computer. If that's the case I think I'll make a separate partition for Logic.

Cheers
    JC

10. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

That's the issue for me also.

My MBP has Pro Tools on it, my MB will have Logic.

I am going to install Pro Tools onto the MB when I get it and therefore if it causes huge amounts of problems then at least I won't lose much data as it will be new.

I'll report back here when I do it.

11. joe.cavers macrumors regular

12. CalumC macrumors regular

You'll need to connect the midi output to an interface (fw/usb audio) or use an adapter of some sort, not sure if you can get midi-usb cables, you can certainly get usb midi keyboards which use usb cables to carry the midi signal, but i don't think your keyboard will have that.

13. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. 60GB is a lot. Maybe I'll just install it on my iMac, but then again, if I could get the keyboard to work it'd be worth it.

14. NGMstudios macrumors newbie

In your opinion, what is it compared to Garageband 09? To be honest, I am not to impressed with the new guitar mods. I was expecting more "Amplitube used with Nuendo". I like the overall look and feel of the program but am interested in getting Express 8 to see what more it has but really don't want to blow the cash, lol.. Thanks for the input.