Logic studio wave pattern for software intruments - is this possible

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BENI, Jun 27, 2009.

1. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

how can I see a wave pattern inside the blocks of midi software instruments sound. I have seen this on several tutorials and it seems that I cant use the fade tool without this view.

any ideas

thanks.

2. arvidtp macrumors newbie

arvidtp

you're not making any sense :D:confused:
    maybe try the manual - it really is much improved in logic 8.

Also: Audio and MIDI are completely different things. Audio is, well audio - as in recorded from a mic. MIDI is note data that tells a synth (in this case software synth) what to do to make noises. You can only see the waveform of this when you render it to a real audio file (then it is no longer MIDI) by bouncing.

You may be thinking of the sample edit window which you edit audio data destructively (actually changes the original file). Or maybe you are thinking f making your own samples for the EXS24 sampler? That you'll have to check the manual for.

The fade tool in logic works on regions of audio in the arrange window. There is also a destructive fade function in the sample editor.

enjoy learning logic - its fun!

3. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

4. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

thanks arvidtp

sorry I'm not making sense I don't know all the different words but I'm sure I'll pick them up along the way.:rolleyes:(I didn't think I mentioned audio)

I can't get the fade tool to do anything to the green pieces of midi it is probably something very obvious but I can't find it. when I open the sample editor it says "nothing to display".

When I saw how to do it (on google vid) they had wave patterns in the boxes of what I thought was midi but maybe isn't. also they were purple which might help you understand what on earth I am on about.

I am inputting from a keyboard through a usb and using a software instrument from the logic library. I am assuming that that is midi since, as you rightly said audio is recorded into a mic and midi is note data (I did know that bit)

I still can't get it to work and I have searched the manual many times. I thing I must be using the wrong words so some human help is much appreciated

5. arvidtp macrumors newbie

arvidtp

The fade tool does not work on MIDI - only audio regions. To fade out MIDI you'll want to automate the channel volume (turn on automation and edit the breakpoints, or record the automation - i think default key command is "a", but i could be wrong - i kept a lot of my shortcuts from Logic 6) or use hyperdraw within the MIDI region (local window menu > HyperDraw > Volume in either arrange or matrix editor) or just edit the velocities of notes in the matrix editor (BTW matrix editor = piano roll).

The differences between automation and hyperdraw are approx as follows:

Automation is part of the track while hyperdraw is part of the region and moves with it always (automation can move with regions or not

hyperdraw is only standard MIDI parameters while automation can affect any parameter of mixing or any parameter of any effect or instrument plugin.

The wave patterns in boxes you saw were probably audio regions or apple loops. Regions of any kind can be any color (open the color palette to change them - useful for keeping track of stuff). The sample editor will work when you have audio selected in the arrange.

best of luck

6. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

Thanks so much!

that's brilliant I have no idea how I would have got all that by myself. the coulor pallet also sounds very useful.

could I convert the midi to audio and then use fade and stuff once the piece is finished - as a sort of second step? just a thought

thanks again.

7. arvidtp macrumors newbie

arvidtp

You can convert soft instruments to audio as a last step, but if you want to remain flexible until the end, you can use automation for lots of stuff, like fades.

There are things you can't very easily do with soft instruments unless you render them into audio - like chopping notes up and reversing parts, etc. But usually I leave my soft instruments as MIDI until bounce, because then i can change a note at any time.

Besides the Apple forum, a great logic forum with really knowledgeable (but sometimes blunt) people is sonikmatter:

http://community.sonikmatter.com/

8. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

thanks for all your help
    it is very much appreciated

I just discovered automation and it is doing exactly what I wanted

cheers for the sonic matter link aswell

BENI:)