Logic Studio with 21.5 Imac base model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Galapagos, May 4, 2011.

1. Galapagos macrumors newbie

Hey guys ! :)
    I hope you can help a newbie like me with these questions.. I plan on buying an Imac which will be used for music production with Logic Studio.

The Imac will be connected to a Midi-keyboard and thats it.

Is the 21.5-inch: 2.5GHz base model powerful enough for this? Can it run Logic Studio smoothly without any problems?

I don't really want to upgrade the 21.5 to i7 as it will cost me 700 bucks more, so will it really be worth it to upgrade to i7 ?

Looking forward to your answers.
    Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sure the i7 would be faster but the i5 is fine, it will just complete the tasks slightly slower. No way the i7 is worth 700$ though.

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

Should be more than enough. But it highly depends on what you do and how you do it.

4. Shattentor macrumors member

Shattentor

I have the previous model base 21.5'' iMac (see sig) for audio production and run even intensive Pro Tools and Logic sessions (several virtual instruments) without any problems. So I would say you're definitly good with the base i5. You might wonna upgrade to 8GBs of RAM later on if you run out of memory, but that's all I would do.

Spend those 700 bucks on something more useful, you won't notice any difference in use with the i7.

5. Galapagos thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect

Sound really good, thanks for your answers guys!

This will be my first Mac, so cant wait till i get my hands on this Imac.. Is there any advantages buying it directly from Apple?
    Or is it just as good to buy it from some Reseller ?

Thanks