Logic Studio

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by MattSorkinNyC, Jun 2, 2010.

1. MattSorkinNyC macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

Hi I am pretty new to Mac. I bought my first Mac computer in december of 09. I bought the MacBook Pro 2.66 ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb Memory laptop. The operating system is 10.6.3. This is by far the best money i have ever spent in my life it was fairly expensive (2900) but well worth it i am over the desktops(viruses,crashes,slowness). I am about to buy Logic studio and i am looking to get into music production. the question i have is after i buy this program what do i NEED to get if there is anything else i need to buy to make the program work. Or if there is anything else that could be added on to get the most out of Logic studio. All help and suggestions is greatly needed/appreciated

2. hakukani macrumors regular

You'll need an interface and microphone(s) if you want to record acoustic material.
    An external firewire hard drive that runs at 7200 rpm to read/write your project files is also a good idea.

You probably will also want a good set of monitor speakers and a good set of headphones.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

5. MattSorkinNyC thread starter macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

ok so i deff need an audioface. i wont need a guitar because the music im gonna play is techno tech house house some minimal and tribal so i doubt im gonna need a guitar... i already have an external 1 Tb western digital Hd i deff need a good set of headphones.. Yes im looking into a MiDi as well but im behind my game on that wouldnt know which one to get..eventually im gonna have logic on mac pro and then traktor/ableton for djaying on another macpro but for right now im gonna have to just stick it out with one..any more inputs? im not looking for top dollar where im gonna empty out my bank account neither lol. im young im starting out with this although i do plan to pursue it to the fullest

6. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

You might want to check out PropellerHead's Reason for your chosen genre. They include a lot of house and tribal sounds, and it's pretty good software. I've never used Logic. I've been thinking about it myself, but I'm not serious enough to justify the cost right now.

You can download a demo of Reason, but keep in mind that it doesn't include the soundbanks that come with the full version: http://www.propellerheads.se/download/index.cfm?fuseaction=download_reason_demo

Just a few thoughts -- a keyboard is a must for getting notes in to the sequencer, but you don't need midi necessarily, you just need a USB keyboard to get started. M-audio do a nice one. You only really need to get into midi if you start adding retro hardware.

If you can play a guitar (and have one), you should get an audio interface that you can plug it in to -- it gives you some interesting options to explore, especially for your techno tracks.

7. deej999 macrumors regular

Logic Studio comes with a lot of sounds and samples - like 45GB worth. :eek: Rather than jumping in and splashing the cash on Reason at the same time spend more time learning Logic and find what, if any, sounds and instruments you want in the future. its perfectly possible to stay in logic and make great music. but there are other synths like Omnisphere and Stylus RMX that are worth considering in the future.

An audio interface, good monitor (speakers), comfy headphones, a USB MIDI Keyboard/controller (these can be cheap and cheerful) - or you can decide later as Logic has the ability to turn your computers keyboard into a MIDI Keyboard so you can easily input notes on your MBP. This might be all you need - but in the future you will probably want a MIDI Keyboard with controls and faders - it's very useful and fun to make music this way.

Be prepared for a learning curve. Lots of videos around on YouTube. Some better than others... all free but many can be misleading and I've seen on other Logic forums people suffering issues cos' of 'free videos'. I recommend the www.macprovideo.com guys, for the best Logic training around. period.
    They got a sale on now for their online subscription service that might be useful -
    http://www.macprovideo.com/summerstartersale10
    there's also free videos there to see.

deej

8. jackerin macrumors 6502a

And a comfy chair too!

9. newuser2310 macrumors regular

Wrong and more wrong.

You can enter notes and change other parameters into the software using the mouse and regular qwerty keyboard. A proper keyboard will become useful as you get used to the software and gain experience.

All usb keyboards like these(piano style not computer):

[​IMG]

will have midi. Its how they communicate with the software. You enter midi notes and they trigger the software synths or change different parameters in the software.

RETRO?

Yes, Midi has been around since the 80's but is still found on all the latest gear.

Please do some research before offering your opinion, it will only confuse the op.:)

10. musictech100 macrumors newbie

I have a new MBP and it is running logic 9 fine with the inbuilt soundcard. You may want to just use headphones for now to see if you like it before splashing out on an audio interface.

A must is keyboard, you can use qwerty but it is not as good. Get a keyboard with lots of faders and pots on for maximum flexibility. They are pretty cheap to pick up

11. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Since Reason (a great program) has already been recommended I'll throw Ableton into the mix. I don't use it because thats not really my thing but I've heard great things about it for what you're looking to do.

Yes, midi jacks can be considered RETRO now.

He obviously meant the some keyboard controllers today don't even have a midi out jack, just USB. And a midi out jack is not required unless it is going to be hooked up to a piece of hardware midi gear, via a midi jack.

With everybody doing more stuff "in the box" with little external gear, less and less people are actually hooking stuff up using actual midi cables, like in the old days, before everything was software based.

13. newuser2310 macrumors regular

They might not have a midi out jack but they still send midi over the usb connection.

14. newuser2310 macrumors regular

They might not have a midi out jack but they still send midi over the usb connection.

After all software instruments are still triggered by midi, even when using the built in piano roll.

Yes, that's true. I can understand how it might lead to some confusion though sometimes, because midi is both a protocol and a type of connecter.

16. newuser2310 macrumors regular

Exactly, the last thing I want is for people to be confused. The Midi protocol is often sent regardless of the connector.

:)

17. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

Um, thanks for that. However, I think you're being ever so slightly a bit of a complete arse. Are you this pedantic (and difficult to get on with) in real life?

Of course the MIDI protocol is still used everywhere, but you won't be plugging much stuff in using midi ports and midi cables -- not unless you start buying retro hardware like the Roland Juno 106, Korg Wavestation, Orbital Dance Planet, Nova Bass Station or any other number of suitable techno/trance/house synths. That's what I meant about MIDI being retro. If he's serious about techno, he will end up going down that route eventually, but while he gets started there won't be a MIDI cable in sight. MIDI is retro.

And how far do you think he's going to get entering notes on his computer's keyboard? Have you honestly ever composed a song that way? I doubt it. At the minimum you need one of those 25 key keyboards, but ideally you'd get something a bit bigger. You also need knobs on it. How else are you going to program dozens of dials for cutoff, resonance, feedback, squelch etc? He wants to produce techno. These keyboards aren't expensive and will make the difference between him finding incredibly frustrating and fantastically enjoyable.

18. newuser2310 macrumors regular

I don't have a keyboard at the moment, my last one broke. The last 2 tunes I made were used just entering notes in the piano roll. I still enjoy it and its not exactly difficult is it? I don't find it difficult adjusting parameters using the mouse either.

I also think the money would be better spent on soundcard/monitors, as my stuff is so much better since I got them, much more so than some poxy keyboard.

Yes a keyboard will improve workflow, but to say its vital to get started is a lie.

I'm not being an arse, maybe if you made the same effort replying to me as you did to the OP then I wouldn't have said anything.:eek:

Giving some vague explanation is no help to anyone.

Also where can I find this dial for squelch?

Thanks

19. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Riiight... I suppose you haven't heard about multiple-synth setups, master keyboards or rack units. Any time you want to use two keyboards and keep them in sync you will connect them with MIDI. I have only one main keyboard but I still have a MIDI cable I use once in a while to connect another MIDI controller and get more keys for when splitting is not an option.

20. deej999 macrumors regular

The OP is new to the Mac and new to Logic. Why are you all complicating things with talk of multi-MIDI syths, blah blah. Possibly not relevant to the OPs question.

I already said early on the Querty keyboard can be used to input notes in Logic... then this discussion descended into something else. weird. Let's answer the question eh.

21. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

Heh, OK you won't find a dial for squelch. But you will find dials that, together, makes noises that sound like 'squelch' ;)

My first post was intentionally simple because I didn't want to confuse OP. I appreciate you think I should have gone in to more detail. I've reread it, and I'm still not sure I agree with you, but I see your point.

I also respect your advice on qwerty keyboards and piano rolls. I can't put a decent tune together that way, but that's just me. At least he'll know he's not alone if he can't get his fingers to reliably hit the right keys on his qwerty keyboard when he's recording.

While I'm here, I'll also recommend technobox for iPhone/iPad and korg electribe for iPad. I've been having lots of techno fun with those over the last week. I also love Rebirth, which you can download for free, but it's only for Windows or Mac Classic (PPC) - there is an iPhone version, but the interface isn't great.

22. newuser2310 macrumors regular

:)

23. MattSorkinNyC thread starter macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

thank you for the download link i never even knew they had a demo. Just by talking to a lot of people who already do what i wanna do they all say reason is a good program but they prefer using Logic but i will look into it and try the demo

24. MattSorkinNyC thread starter macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

Thank you for the info this was very much helpful i will watch all these videos my friend told me about some book but i dont like the idea of not being able to visualize what i would need to do so watching video tutorials will be a lot better and easier for me to learn the ways of the program.. Ive decided that im going to get a MIDI cont/keyboard im starting to look into all of them now

25. MattSorkinNyC thread starter macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

Yes i know about ableton and all of its featuers except that program looks a diff language to me how its set up all of my friends use this program to dj while a few use traktor. im still up in the air which program to buy to use to dj i am starting to think in the long run ableton is the better program just because of how creative u can get with it. My friend started to teach me the program i am coming a long im sure it will take time to learn it