Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PandaOnslaught

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
:):):)
i know threads on this subject have probably been posted before, but i was hoping to get some more personalized help rather than reading and making a choice.
:):):)
I'm eagerly waiting for the new MBP updates and when it finally arrives, i will be purchasing it for 2 reasons, school work and recording software. i have done i little bit of research on both Logic and Pro Tools and they equally interest me, but i was wondering which one would be more versatile for my needs: ill be recording guitar, bass, and vocals and mixing them, mostly :cool::cool:Death Metal genre:cool::cool:, but i dont want to drag my amp to school so i was going to use a USB interface, which program has better/more realistic amp tones?

also help choosing a usb interface would also be a great great help

thanks
:apple::apple::apple:

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
Logic for sure. The new Logic Studio comes with a huge variety of amp models and effects pedals plugins that sound fantastic. You can get similar stuff for Pro Tools, but you'll be paying out the ear for it all, especially quality stuff. Logic is also the better, easier program to use.

As far as USB interfaces go, get something from M-Audio. Something like the Fast Track Pro probably has what you need for a decent price, though you can certainly go bigger and fancier than that. Depends on what you want out of your interface.

PandaOnslaught

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
wow that fast track pro seems to be perfect, and thanks i was always leaning towards logic since i really loved the garage band interface, i thought that moving from GB to Logic would feel much more natural, do you know if the speed of USB vs Firewire would make much of a difference in recording?

thanks for your help this far, for 175$ fast track pro seems to have everything that i want :)

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
You don't really need, and won't really see FireWire-based interfaces until you start needing more than 2 or 4 inputs. With the Fast Track Pro, it only has 2 inputs, which USB can handle just fine. Once you get something that has 8 preamps it'll have FireWire, but 8 inputs isn't really that necessary until you want to actually mic a full acoustic drumkit or something.

And yes, moving from Garageband to Logic is very smooth. The interface is quite similar, you just have more tools at your disposal with Logic. Apple has video tutorials for both Garageband and Logic on their website, and you can find countless more online and in DVD format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.