Logicboard swap question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nickXedge, Oct 13, 2009.

1. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I have a 2.2Ghz, late 2007, Santa Rosa Macbook with a fried logicboard. I know there are slight differences between this logicboard and a 2.0Ghz, 2006 pre-Santa Rosa logicboard. However, I should be able to put the slightly older logicboard in the slightly newer (less old) case right? I know some minor connections are different and the PRAM battery is located on the logicboard of the older one, but I can simply take out the PRAM or not connect the cable right? I'm more than capable of handling this job I just want to doublecheck before I have it apart and find out it was a waste of time. Thanks for all input.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless it is exactly the same shape with all the mounts in the same place it wont't fit. And I'm pretty sure you need PRAM.

3. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

When I said I could just not connect the PRAM, I meant the older one, because the replacement logicboard PRAM is already connected.

I believe they are the same size for two reasons: (1) I believe the lowercase of the MacBooks are all interchangeable and the same, so it would have to fit, and (2) the ifixit guide is general for logicboard replacements, while noting the changes in placement of connectors, which is not significant enough to cause a problem in the replacement.

Any other thoughts or corrections to what I believe is very welcome.

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

To me it sounds like it might work. +1 on making sure that all the mounting points and the shape are the same. Make sure all the ports are in the same position and that all wires connect in the same type of connection and you should be ok.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

The older macbook logic boards will not fit in the 2.2 macbook; the holes for the fan mount etc.. are different. You need a 2.2 or 2.4 macbook logic board.

6. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

You're right. However, in replacing the logic board, I am also replacing the battery connector, and the magsafe DC-in as a precaution because I don't know what exactly fried the board in the first place. Also, the battery connector was a must because the logic board I am going to attempt to squeeze in is a non-energy star board, requiring extra pins on the connector. Also, these items are all plenty cheap to replace in relation to the whole job. At this point, I might as well throw in a "new" (better suited) heatsink + fan. The heatsink temperature sensors are different anyway.

So it looks like I'm going to give it a shot. What was once a 2.2Ghz Santa Rosa Macbook will, in the next week or so when I get the parts, be a 2.0Ghz late 2006, non-energy star Macbook with a new magsafe DC-in, battery connector and heatsink+fan. As far as I know these alterations will make this a doable project.

Once again, if anyone else has any input on why or why not this will work, or anything else I might need to change, or modify, please let me know. Criticism is happily taken and appreciated. Thanks.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You will need a new bottom-case - it is cheaper than a new heat-sink anyway. Repeat - the 2GHz logicboard will fit in the Santa Rosa bottom case but the heat-sink from the 2GHz (late 2006) has the mounting screws in different positions.

You will also need new speakers - Santa Rosa speakers have different connectors to the earlier models. You will also need the older style logicboard to inverter cable for the screen...

Apart from that it will be fine - older style bottom cases are only about $20 anyway...

8. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

As far as the bottom case / heatsink go, I am going to replace the heatsink because I can get one for about $6 connected to a fan and just modify it slightly if necessary to make it fit. I think replacing the bottom case rather than the heatsink and fan is unnecessary, and it will turn out slightly more expensive.

Thanks for the tip about the speakers, you're absolutely right. Those are cheap enough as well, so I'll pick up a new set of speakers/subwoofer. It does look like you're incorrect about the LCD inverter however. iFxit shows one inverter for all 13" MacBooks, so I should be fine there.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes the inverter is the same but the cable connecting it to the logicboard is different in the 2 models - you will need an early cable - the Santa Rosa one will not fit.

As regards the heatsink - it is easier to replace the bottomcase (!!). The screws holding the heatsink pass through sleeves/bushes in the logicboard and connect to the bottomcase. Only one screw (out of the 4) will connect. The other 3 screws will pass through the logicboard and there will be nothing to connect them to. The captive bushes on your bottomcase may short out something (or foul something) on the earlier logicboard.

Give it a try but I think it will be much simpler and safer to replace the bottomcase.......

10. eman macrumors 6502a

I agree, much easier and less headaches.

11. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Ahhh I see what you're saying now. Thanks for the clarification. I will definitely go this route rather than the heatsink idea now. Thanks again for the great info.

Also, any idea where I can get a cable for the inverter? iFixit doesn't seem to sell them, they just sell the inverter.

EDIT: This is the cable I will need, correct? Link

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - that is the cable you need - the connection to the logicboard is similar to the speaker and fan connectors.

Try eBay seller "falconprince" for a bottomcase or any other parts you are looking for.

You will need the correct fan/heatsink for your late 2006 logicboard. Should be the "vertical connector" type aka 3 wall. Fan connection is also different to the Santa Rosa type - similar to the speaker and inverter connectors.