logicboard went out on a 1 month old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HBOC, Dec 17, 2008.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

so my logicboard is most likely the culprit. The guy at the genius bar at the apple store downtown was super cool. He checked the ram, not dice. He said it is most likely the logicboard. So my question is, will all my stuff on my HD be ok and intact when i get it back? i am leaving for vacation on sunday for 2 weeks, and they are overnighting the computer to missouri tomorrow and then they will over night it back to me in so. cal, which is really cool.

If my HD will be wiped or if there is a chance that i will lose data, i will buy an external drive and transfer over all my stuff i have on my PC to put back on the MBP when i get it.

anyone with any experience with this? i have no time to order online, so i will have to go to the likes of fry's or (gulp) best buy or worse...

thanks alot

that sucks after 1 month it went out...

2. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

When I got a fan replaced the Genius asked if I wanted my harddrive backed up... I said no (have it in Time Machine). You might want to call in for this service.

That said my machine came back with data intact. I don't believe they will wipe the harddrive unless there is some issue with that in itself, either the drive or the data (OS restore, need to format, etc).

3. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

now i am a little confused. Time Machine is standard on Leopard correct? You have to set it up to backup, or does it do it automatically on a partition of the drive? Or am i getting time capsule mixed up with time machine?

4. youssefm macrumors 6502

time machine is the application used to back up everything on your computer to an external hard drive, time capsule is an external hard drive used to store the information. (you dont need time capsule, you could use any external hdd to back stuff up using time machine)

5. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

ah got ya. i guess that wouldnt make sense and would be quite assinine. me thinks i need an external seagate drive.