Login and all my stuff is gone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skttle, Apr 27, 2010.

1. skttle macrumors newbie

Hi,

I ran into a huge problem today, it seems, and I'm hoping someone here can offer some help. Just for starters, I have a 13" MBP with Snow Leopard.

So I tried logging onto my account just now, but accidentally clicked the guest one. In order to somehow undo that, I stupidly hit esc and then command+z repeatedly a few times. It brought me back to the login page, where I logged into my account, but when I did ALL OF MY STUFF was gone--files, pictures, music, folders, documents, etc.--and it was back to all the default settings. I looked through all the folders and everything is GONE. I tried restarting with no luck. I logged into the guest account too and that's also default (as per usual though).

Does anyone have any idea how I managed this? Is there a way to fix it and get my stuff back? I'm freaking out because everything I ever needed is (was?) on my mac. :(

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do a Get Info on your hard drive and see what your free space count looks like. Is it about the right amount, or is there more than usual?

Also, try typing "ls -l /Users" in Terminal and see whether there's an extra account listed. It's possible that you've somehow managed to end up with a new account, with your data still sitting in the old one.

3. skttle thread starter macrumors newbie

It's showing that I've used 24.45 GB, and that my available is 135.25 GB of 159.7 GB. I'm not entirely sure how much I'd been using before, but this sounds about right since I only have my fair share of music, documents, pictures and other odd bits, but nothing else that would take up a huge amount of space.

As for the users:
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x+ 15 Sarah staff 510 Apr 27 21:36 Sarah
    drwxrwxrwt 7 root wheel 238 Apr 27 20:53 Shared

I'm not really aware of how the terminal commands work for most things, but uh, this isn't anything out of the ordinary?

4. IvanLasston macrumors newbie

5. skttle thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh... my god. :(

I don't have anything backed up, no.