login and password reset

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chor5500, Jan 23, 2017.

1. chor5500 macrumors newbie

Hi...i have bought a macbook pro off ebay and you turn it on its asking for username and password i have contacted the seller but no reply does anyone know a way round this or is for the bin..thanks

2. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Why not do a full restore?

Power on and hold Cmd-R.

3. chor5500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried this and it goes straight back to the login screen

4. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

What kind of Macbook is it? The model can be found on the back/bottom.

5. SteveJUAE, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I have heard this before and your not sure if device is legit even though your purchase maybe and the Apple store may be unable to assist without original proof of purchase.

I think the previous OP contacted ebay/credit card and got a refund and still kept the laptop as there was no one to return it too

The OP then (from the MacBook forum) contacted someone who could help, it was thought to be an ex apple employees who had access to unlock codes etc for a small fee

Use your own judgement and morals to the legitimacy of doing this as I assume you are a victim but may end up in a dilemma

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hmmm... iCloud locking on a Mac would prompt for a digit code I believe, rather than a username and password.

OP: please could you kindly upload a photograph of what you see? Please could you also hold 'Alt' on startup and advise what you see?

7. matram macrumors member

I have done a reset password on the MBP of a relative.

If I rember correctly you could give the command resetpassword in terminal. You need to boot into the recovery partition and start terminal from there.

This was for an older version of OSX so I do not know if it still works, but you could always give it a try.