Login as admin on XP with my MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thedoobieman5, Jun 18, 2009.

1. thedoobieman5 macrumors newbie

Alright, I FINALLY got windows on my mac and am very proud of myself. However, I am encountering what I hope is a final problem.

I want to log into Windows as an admin, so when it starts up I hit F8. The screen goes black and gives me a bunch of options, I choose "Safe Mode". Everything so far works like it should. But then the log screen appears with two options: Admin and my regular user. Obviously I want admin, but my keyboard and mouse are utterly nonresponsive , even the little caps light won't turn on. This means I'm stuck there, staring at what I want to click but unable to do so. The only button that works is the power button.

Anyone else run into this? More importantly, anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

If you want to log into the default administrator account in normal windows mode you need to enable it.

1. Click Start>run>regedit ok
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    3. Double-click the Administrator key in the right pane.
    4. Type 1 in the “Value data” box, and press enter, then close regedit.

Restart and you should see the administrator account on the welcome screen.

3. thedoobieman5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got all the way down to "User list" by running "regedit" but see no admin file or boxes to check.
    If I run "regedit ok" it says there might be a system error.

Sorry if this is really simple, I'm just not used to windows at all!

4. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Why do you want to log in as Administrator? Unlike Mac OS, Windows XP automatically gives a newly created user (including the default user) administrative rights. You normally never need to use the built-in Admin account (although some OEM's use the Admin account, like Toshiba).

If you do want to have the Admin account visible, I think you can also do it by starting the Run command. Click on Start and hit Run or hit the Windows key (the Command key in your case) + R and then type (without quotes) "control userpasswords2" and it should give you the option to make the Admin account visible. On second thought, this might only be accessible with XP Pro...

I would just leave it as is, since you have admin rights with your normal Windows user account.

5. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I forgot your other question... When you run in Safe Mode, Windows does not load all drivers, including the drivers for the keyboard and trackpad. If you want to try logging into the Admin account in normal mode, hit Control Alt Delete twice when the Welcome Screen appears. This will bring up the old style log in box, allowing you to enter Administrator as username and then the admin password.

But, like I said before, there's no compelling reason (that I can think of) that you would want to use that account.

6. thedoobieman5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

It turns out you were right, logging in as admin was unnecessary for what I wanted to do. Simply hitting "run" and running my executable did the trick. So thanks!

7. umiwangu macrumors 6502