Login by Facial Recognition via iSight?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ddeadserious, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Just wondering if anybody knows of any software that would do this.

I know it wouldn't be 100% secure given the iSight resolution and all, as well as other factors such as lighting, etc.

Just thought it'd be a nice novelty to keep unwanted users off my Mac when I'm not around.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't believe that it would be possible for Mac OS X in its current incarnation. But that would be a pretty cool security feature if it ever comes to fruition :)

3. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

+1

Absolutely brilliant idea, combined with a password would be great.......only downside might be if somebody could get a photograph of you and attempt to log in with that.......

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I have found some "kind of" solution for Windows, but nothing really for Mac.

I'm aware it wouldn't be 100% secure, due to the photo thing. Theretically, the only way to combat that would be by using two cameras at different angles to get a 3D-like rendering.

I can't believe there's nothing even in development for this...

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

what about thumb print and voice recognition, voice recog is used for some things already in computing isnt it :p

6. lapocompris macrumors regular

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I'm sure it isn't too far off - since iPhoto does a fairly good job of recognizing faces.

It would be pretty cool.

8. ethical macrumors 68000

That would be a pretty cool feature!

After that there would be an option to put a skin sample into the optical drive.... for added DNA security!

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yes but iPhoto does this off images from Digital Cameras (cameras with good sensors and flashes, great image quality). Plus, iPhoto isn't 100% efficient/accurate at all.

What if you're in a lecture hall that's dark, the iSight won't pick up your face and then you're SOL.

It seems good in theory, but it seems a lot quicker/less gimmicky to type a password. It does seem more secure, but what about changes in facial hair, bruises or other elements (ex. Tattoos) ?

10. zenoran macrumors regular

my creative labs webcam has a plugin for windows that does that but it was beta and buggy... cool idea but password is just quicker/better :)

not sure what they did with that whole app I think they might have scrapped the project?

11. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

That actually sounds like a great incarnation for iSights built into Macs. iChat 3D!