Login help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by papabill, Mar 10, 2012.

1. papabill macrumors member

I just 'inherited' an older PowerMac G5, and I cannot get past the Mac OS X login screen.

The guy who gave it to me says he had no password, but he hasn't tried to crank it for a couple of years.

I've tried 'administrator' w/password 'administrator', but nothing happens. All it does is shake at me.

Help!! Please!!

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. papabill, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

papabill thread starter macrumors member

This is a Mac OS X 10.5.4, but it has no CD player, nor floppy disc drive. And, I have no software with which to work.

Edit: I stand corrected. It DOES have a CD (I'm just used to having a button to push to open it-I have only PCs)

4. simsaladimbamba

Macs don't come with floppy drives since the late 1990s.
    And that Mac has its optical disk drive (ODD) removed?

The ODD is located at the top:
    [​IMG]

To open it, you have to hold down the EJECT key on the keyboard.

And if it does not have an ODD: Forgot Mac Password? How to Reset Your Mac Password (with or without CD)

5. papabill thread starter macrumors member

Outstanding, thanks. Now since my keyboard doesn't have an EJECT key, how do I open it? How do I make it show up on the screen?

6. simsaladimbamba

You can try the steps outlined here, if you don't have an Apple keyboard:
    How do you make it show up on what screen? Do you mean, how to boot from a bootable DVD or CD? Hold down the "C" key or the "OPTION" key right after startup, for a second or so.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

7. papabill thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I guess I don't know enough about Macs to ask an intelligent question.

My question would be better asked as 'How do I make the CD/DVD player's presence show on the monitor.' I hope that's clearer.

8. simsaladimbamba

You mean booting from it to reset the password? Then I have already posted that in my last post.

9. papabill, Mar 10, 2012

papabill thread starter macrumors member

No. At the top of my monitor screen, there is a little hard drive, which I have named 'Mac', but I don't see a CD/DVD drive represented.

Also, how do I open the thing with no EJECT button on my keyboard (it's the original keyboard and mouse)

Edit: With trial and error, I'm beginning to figure out things. I actually found the EJECT button. Gonna keep tinkering and see what I can figure out.

Thanks

10. simsaladimbamba, Mar 10, 2012

simsaladimbamba

You mean when booted into Mac OS X?
    Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop
    [​IMG]
    There is also the Sidebar preferences, where you can select to show CDs and DVDs.
    [​IMG]

If the DVD shows up in the Sidebar, then there is an EJECT icon.
    If it shows up on the Desktop: CMD+E or right-click > Eject or drag to the Trash icon in the Dock.

If it shows up nowhere, check Disk Utility.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

If it is the original white keyboard, that came with the PowerMac G5 (image clickable for bigger version):
    [​IMG]

PS: Here is the PowerMac User Guide.

11. papabill thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much. I feel like a TOTAL dummy asking all these basic questions, but being a PC DOS baby, all I've had is PCs. I'm trying to "break into" Macs (now I have a G4, and old iMac, and now a G5.) But I know SO LITTLE.

I appreciate your help and your patience.