Login Hook problem. Cannot log in! Any geniuses here today?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someguy, Mar 25, 2008.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So, I was trying to get Synergy to run on login via their directions. I followed the steps for Method #2 exactly and now when I boot up, the login process locks up.

The login window appears, gets right to the point where the desktop should appear, and then just stops doing anything immediately after the mouse starts working. So, my synergy script is loading, and then preventing anything else from happening after that point.

The problem is I cannot remotely remove or edit the script because I do not have permissions over the network and I can't seem to change them either.

Is there any way I can change the permissions via Terminal, or edit the Login Hook or whatever I need to do to reverse this?

Also, Safe Mode behaves the same way and my Account settings are set to automatically login to my primary user.

What can I do?

EDIT: I have another user setup already (called "Troubleshoot", as a matter of fact). Is there any way to force the Login window to appear rather than automatically logging in?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you don't have permission in Safe mode, just add "sudo" to the beginning of any command and it will ask you for the admin or root password (usually the same).

I would try repairing permissions using the OS X install Disc, it may be that Synergy doesn't have the right permissions it needs. Also, is this on an admin or user account. If you login to your machine over a network on an admin account or as root you should be able to do anything, unless there is a permission corruption.

Your best bet may be to use the OS X install Disc and do an Archive and Install of OSX.

TEG

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I cannot log in at all in Safe Mode.

It is an admin account, but the script file's permissions are Read Only, except for "system" which can Read & Write.

I will try repairing permissions via my Panther disk. Thanks!

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Repairing permissions didn't work.

Will an Archive/Install overwrite my current LoginWindow (sorry if I'm using the wrong term there)?

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Got it!

Booted to Single User Mode, deleted the folder using rm -rf in root (if that makes sense).

Thanks for the help!