Login Issue, weird problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjkov, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mjkov macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I was wondering if anybody had any idea of what is wrong with my Macbook?

I shut it down yesterday and came back to it later to turn it on, it loaded up as far as the login page, I inputted my password, it accepted and then sort of hung on the wallpaper for a few seconds, then it hung on a blue screen for even longer, then just took me back to the login page.

The only thing that shows up is my mouse pointer and the wallpaper.

My password was Definitely inputted correctly.
    I have also tried the 'fsck -f' thing when booting up. It said there was nothing wrong to report.
    I did notice something when I tried running Disk Utility from my install disc. I chose my HD and clicked on Repair. As it was running through it's process it said there was an error in 'header' or something, which it then fixed. I don't know the relevance of this because i'm not that technically minded.

I also ran Verify just in case.

I restarted and nothing had changed. Login still hung at that blue screen for a few seconds, then took me back to login page.

One of the major problems is I have a whole terms worth of work on it that I'm worried I'm going to lose. I have Time Machine Running but I don;t know if i have to restore my HD and install leopard again, would it continue to hold all the files that are already backed up or would I have to set it all up again?

I know this is two problems but I am worried about losing ALL my work and figured if the login issue could be resolved, I could save my work.

Thanks

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Hey, try safe mode (hold down shift at startup) or (caution) single user mode (hold down s) to see if you can troubleshoot it or at the very least backup your stuff.