Login item hiding

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macstatic, Mar 10, 2009.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I just installed Skype and noticed that it starts up when I log into my Mac.

Fair enough: for the time being I don't want this, so I entered the Accounts control panel, then Login items where I ticked the "Hide" box next to where Skype was listed.

But Skype still starts up when I log into/power up my Mac. What gives?
    I thought "hide" meant the same thing as "disable" during login, but apparently not. I know I can remove Skype from the Login items list, but since I sometimes want it to automatically start when I power up my Mac that would be a bit cumbersome.

I'm using MacOS 10.4.11

2. MotleyPete macrumors regular

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It's a known problem with Skype. I read on their support forum they were going to change that, but they sill haven't until now.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It either starts, starts and hides, or doesn't start at login ... there is no way for it tell when you want it to start.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling I've misunderstood what "hide" means in this context.

I was under the assumption that for applications you use each time you turn on the computer (e.g. the Firefox web browser) you would put it in the login items and you wouldn't have to click on it in the icon in the dock.

And "Hide" would be to disable this function for a specific application in the list over login items (the same thing really as removing it from the list altogether, but easily allowing you to change your mind). So it this what it does, or does "Hide" mean something else?

As for Skype, reading that they have a problem with this I guess I'll just have to remove it completely from that list.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, hide means the app is open, but you cannot see any windows. Same thing as Cmd+h.

7. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah! I see.
    Kind of silly and confusing. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was thinking back to the days of MacOS 7, 8 and 9 where you could have an application automatically start up, but you could also disable it which would put it in the "disabled" folder ("startup items (disabled" or something like that).

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Try this.

Drag the Skype app to the dock.

Click on the Skype icon, a popup menu will appear.

Make sure that, "Open at Login," is not checked if you don't want it to start up. Conversely check it if you do. Easy to change the startup this way.

Works for me running Tiger.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Select item from startup items, and hit DELETE.

Hide means hide. Not confusing at all.

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I thought you were referring to the fact that, when opened at login, skype will always open the contact window.