Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
tried this with redquits
For RedQuits, you can try to tell it with AppleScript to launch and close the window :)
It should be barely visibile.
Code:
tell application "RedQuits"
    launch
    close window 1
end tell

dacrone

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2021
For RedQuits, you can try to tell it with AppleScript to launch and close the window :)
It should be barely visibile.
Code:
tell application "RedQuits"
    launch
    close window 1
end tell
I kept getting back that the program didn't understand "close window 1", but thanks for the reply. Using an idea based on your comment, I got the desired result for Webroot, AnyDesk and Requits:

tell application "AnyDesk" to activate
tell application "Finder"
set visible of process "AnyDesk" to false
end tell

save that as an app - set to run in settings > general

*for anydesk, go to Library > LaunchAgents AND LaunchDaemons > delete the 3 (total between both folders) AnyDesk files that make it run at boot, then set that script app to run at boot.

Reactions: kikangh and bogdanw

mat1696

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2021
Maybe they gave up on hiding the windows since it didn't work correctly half the time.
That exactly how Apple works now:
- Hidden login items are broken ? Okay, let's remove it. Fixed.
- iOS 16 parallax effect doesn't work correctly ? Okay, let's remove it. Fixed.
- iOS 16 dark/light wallpapers interfere with AOD mode and would require work to have dark/light mode support? Okay, let's remove that feature completely. Fixed.

So disappointing to see such great features that were real highlight of Apple ease of use and attention to detail being removed release after release... And needless to speak about feature that are removed for absolutely no reason, as they continue working using Terminal (Hi power schedule options...)...

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
There is an easy way to launch an app hidden now: create a plist file in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ and the Background item added message will be displayed.
Example plist for launching Terminal hidden:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>terminal.LaunchAtLogin</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>open</string>
        <string>-j</string>
        <string>/System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>
what do you name the plist?

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
what do you name the plist?
You can call it absolutely anything you want. I have a little app that runs to upload images to imgur and I've called the one that hides it imgurls.plist

kenking

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2023
Here we go, this is the easy way to do it. Only cost $0.99.

Reactions: Feek and gank41

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Here we go, this is the easy way to do it. Only cost $0.99.

This looks interesting. And from a privacy standpoint, it looks like a good app. It’s a shame that Apple has to remove this feature only for a third-party to charge for it later.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Bought it, it works so I've blitzed the plist files I wrote.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Here's a great article that explains how to create a more descriptive (yet still convoluted) text file list of all login items. I've had a few items labeled as "sh" that I've been unable to figure out what it is.. Turns out it's the app Amphetamine & its helper app. At least I know now..

The tl;dr is you run this in Terminal:
Code:
sudo sfltool dumpbtm > ~/Documents/btmdump.text
That puts a text file in your Documents Folder with everything. Very helpful.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Another way, useful for setting up multiple Macs or for a quick configuration after a fresh install:
a configuration profile with com.apple.loginitems.managed as the payload type.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/loginitemsmanageditems
https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/managed-login-items-payload-settings-dep07b92494/web

Can be created with iMazing Profile Editor https://imazing.com/guides/getting-started-with-imazing-profile-editor
or ProfileCreator https://github.com/ProfileCreator/ProfileCreator
Login_Items.jpg

Ward Clark

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
/edit 13th February 2023 - If you don't want to faff with creating plist files, there's now an app that adds this functionality.

Thanks for the link to Autostarter, which is launching 18 apps at login. I've set 5 to Hide, including 3 that ignored my Hide settings in earlier macOS releases. Highly recommended!

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I don't restart unless there's a specific reason, so, not often, but when I do I don't get all my startup items showing. I use Stage Manager, and all active apps are there and not visible all at once. Also, in Ventura, most apps remember when they were fullscreen in Spaces, so verything is very tidy after a reboot.

• Sad
Reactions: jagooch

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
One of my items stopped autohiding after the 13.3.1 update, I had to deselect the 'hide' box and reselect it in Autostarter.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Autostarter has been failing intermittently for me recently for a couple of apps. I've gone back to the plist method as described here.

Reactions: jagooch

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The solution from post #66 (.mobileconfig profile) does not work in Ventura 13.4. Apps are added to the Login Items by the profile, but the Hide key is ignored.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
The solution from post #66 (.mobileconfig profile) does not work in Ventura 13.4. Apps are added to the Login Items by the profile, but the Hide key is ignored.
That stinks. I’m experimenting with using Keyboard Maestro to replace login items.

The way I have it configured now is it launches apps when I log in, and then hides all of them.

The desktop is cluttered for a bit as apps launch and then suddenly all the windows are hidden.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
The plist method still works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.