Login items loading automatically

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SimonMW, Feb 13, 2008.

1. SimonMW macrumors 6502

Recently I talked my father into getting himself a Macbook. I was getting fed up of being called to 'fix' something on his Windows machine.

He is getting on better with the Mac, although there are a few things that keep happening. He is quite elderly and is suffering from Parkinsons so his memory isn't brilliant, and he still makes mistakes without realising it.

One thing I have to keep doing is removing programs from his login items. For some reason every time I check out his Mac to make sure everything is okay I keep finding that a ton load of programs open on startup.

He hasn't told them to load up that he knows of. I get the impression that his computer is remembering which programs he had opened when he shut it down and is then loading them up again when he starts it up in the morning. I am having difficulty getting him to remember to quit programs when he has finished with them.

Is there any way (or can anyone think of another reason why the programs might be starting up at login) that I can stop these programs from ending up on the start on login list?

I can't imagine that he is right clicking on items on the dock, or anywhere else. The right click on his trackball is disabled and he has to press Cntrl to perform the action. I can't think why he'd be doing this and accidently going to Start at Login.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Mind telling us what exactly is starting at login? Usually programs will load Helper files at login like Microsoft or Adobe programs. They're all generally harmless too. Otherwise some of the programs that are starting up might have a setting that must be turned off in the program itself, there tends to be a "Start at Login" pref. But again it'll help to know what programs we're dealing with here.

3. SimonMW thread starter macrumors 6502

Its random. Sometimes it is Firefox, sometimes Mail, sometimes other programs. There is no pattern to it.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Could you not be the admin for the computer and not tell him the password. Then just close the padlock on the accounts prefs pane. That way he can't add things or remove them.

5. SimonMW thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I control what he can change and what he can't if I did that? I don't want to lock him out totally as he'll then be asking me to change stuff for him all the time.

On my mothers account I put it into simplified mode, but this would be far too restrictive for him.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I think it's all or nothing.