Login items missing from menu bar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tertuliano, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Tertuliano macrumors newbie

Hello.

This morning when I booted up my computer and I logged into Lion all of my login items were missing on the menu bar. I could only see time, Bluetooth, and sound. All other menu bar items are gone, and since I use a microsoft mouse (which has it's own preferences pane and login settings which override apple mouse preferences and settings ) was not working the way it should. In other words, my login preferences were gone. I restarted the computer, and the problem persists. The day before yesterday I repaired permissions on my hard drive, but I've booted up the computer at least twice since then, and I didn't have this problem, so I don't think they're related.

I keep a clone of my hard drive, so I'm sure the preferences for these login items are saved on my backup disk. My question is: how do I get them back? Which files pertain exclusively to System Settings and particularly to login items? How should I proceed here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS.- I'm running Lion 10.7.2

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you verified that those login items are still listed?

Check the following locations:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
      (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/
      (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

3. Tertuliano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

[*]System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items

They were gone when I first noticed the problem. Some of them are back now since I launched some of the apps myself.

[*]/Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    [*]/Library/StartupItems/

I never opened these folders in the past, but after reading your comment I compared the folders on both my Lion and Backup drive, and the contents seem identical. I don't know much, but this seems like a problem specifically with System Preferences login items? What do you think?

Thanks again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would add the apps back to your Login items, then restart your computer. If they stick there, I wouldn't worry about it anymore. If they don't stick, more troubleshooting is in order.

5. Tertuliano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your reply. After adding the items back and restarting the computer, most of them launched at login, except for one. I had to launch it manually, so I hope that next time I restart it does launch at login. I don't care much about this particular app, but I don't know if I should be concerned for not launching at login.

Anyway, I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but in the last month, Apple Mail has asked me twice (days apart one from the other) to re-enter the password for my multiple mail accounts. That is the reason why I repaired permissions on my disk a couple of days ago. I don't know if these two things are related, or if it's just a coincidence.

Anyway, it all seems normal for now. Please let me know if you find suspicious the behavior of my Mac after reading this post. If not, I thank you for your prompt help.

Cheers.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not related, and repairing permissions won't help, as they only apply to certain situations.

7. Tertuliano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your input. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

8. Tertuliano thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again.

So this morning I power on my computer and I'm facing the same scenario as in my first post. I know I can add the programs back to the Login Items list, but should I be concerned that the problem happened again in a period of 2 weeks? If so, what can I do about it? Thanks in advance.