Login Password Rejected for All New Accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 8, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I find I am unable to log into any account other than my current admin account, including a standard account I created a long time ago but rarely used, and a new account that I just created. The password is rejected. I have read in some places that this may be a symptom of a corrupted Netinfo database, but so far this seems like less than a definitive diagnosis and seems to lack a solution. I don't know when this started, but I am running 10.4.11 and am current with security updates.

Any thoughts?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That is a pretty common symptom of a dodgy NetInfo database. Apple has instructions on restoring or resetting the database. It's not the most basic of tasks, but I'm sure you'll manage if it comes to this despite being really old and bad at learning new tasks.

Did you attempt to reset the passwords with the install discs?

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Woof" says the old dog.

I've seen these instructions before, but it's unclear to me what is actually lost when the database is replaced. You're returned to the Setup Assistant, which sounds a mite scary. Have you tried this yourself, pup?

I don't think a password reset with the install discs is going to cut it. I can create new standard user accounts and set and reset their passwords, but still can't log into those accounts. Fortunately my admin account still works.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've replaced the database twice, but both times it was on a work machine that was then used by another employee. I didn't hear anything about losing data but I'm pretty sure it resulted in a new account being made. The old accounts were, to the best of my knowledge, still present. Back everything up all the same, though.

I was wondering if the password utility had any authority over these defunct accounts, but wasn't really offering it as a long term solution. Whether or not it works may indicate something, although I'm not yet sure what... :D

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You didn't hear about any lost data, but your desk did spontaneously combust in the night.

The procedure creating a new user account sounds bad to me. Does my old admin account turn into a standard account?

BTW, resetting the passwords isn't an issue. I can reset them to my heart's content -- but no matter how I set them, they don't allow access to the account.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry mate, I really don't remember what happened. The work users would have been on non-administrator accounts anyway... Assuming it does revert all your admin account to standard ones, it shouldn't be that hard to get their privileges back.