Login Problem-iMac Running Boot Camp XP SP3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CalArtsDSS, Jan 8, 2009.

1. CalArtsDSS macrumors newbie

I have about half a dozen iMacs running the same configuration, Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Bootcamp 2.1, XP Professional SP3. One of them every few months or weeks will lockup on login and display graphic artifacting stair stepping on screen. The startup chime will continue to chime and the stair stepped pattern will appear and alternate between solid white or black lines and multicolored lines. This will then be followed eventually by the machine simply rebooting on login rather than displaying this pattern. The problem seems to go away temporarily after reinstalling Boot Camp but the problem comes back every few weeks or months. Sometimes it will come back right after a reinstall. Has anyone seen this issue or know if this is indeed a hardware issue. Thanks. You can see a video of the login issue here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vklp-vEfbzs

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

$10 says it's a hardware problem, maybe a graphics card or memory issue. Do you have the computer's restore CDs? Try running Hardware Test.

3. CalArtsDSS thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm like 90% sure it's hardware but the Mac side seems to still function fine. I ran the hardware test a month ago and it checked out. I'm going to run it again today to see if it finds anything.

4. CalArtsDSS thread starter macrumors newbie

Running the hardware test in a loop right now. No problems yet, only on the 4th loop.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, even if Hardware Test doesn't have any complaints, I'm still inclined to say there's an issue it's not picking up on. Is it under warranty? Either way, my advice is to take it in to the shop.

6. CalArtsDSS thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I had a PowerMac G5 that always passed hardware test but had probs still. It's still under warranty. Gonna let it go for a few more passes before I just plan to take it in.