Login safari problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Feb 18, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Since a fresh install of leopard on my shiny G4 powerbook I have been constantly getting this window flash up every time I open safari (see pic.)

I have tried every password but none work, tried countless restarts but nothing! It strikes me as odd that I can restart, log in, then be told that the password I just logged in with doesn't work!

If it makes any difference getting an incorrect password 3 times gets rid of the window and pressing cancel twice (as another window pops up) does the same trick...

After getting rid of the window Im free to continue browsing but it stops me automatically logging in on sites like this, facebook, ebay... and it becoming time consuming and very annoying!

Thanks for any input!

Edit: just posting this it popped up 6 times! So i don't think it is password related!

Attached Files:

2. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yeh ok I know bumping isnt good and I hate it when people do it to, but this problem is still happening!

Its also happening in Mail..

I have tried resetting the master password from the leopard disc but to no avail! Oh and 10.5.2 didnt fix it either!

Thanks

3. skwij macrumors 6502

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I got the same problem, either try
    1)spotlight keychain access and delete the safari or whatever is affected keychains.

2)if you have a password try the 6 first characters.
    (my keychain password is the 6 first characters of my login password)

ChrisN

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

WHat is file vaulting?

Ill try the other method later and post back my results!

Thanks

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like Keychain issue in which you reset the password of your user account.

Open Disk Utility, and Repair Permissions
    Go into "Keychain Access", and delete anything with Safari

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It wants the password that you were using before the reinstall, which clearly has been changed. If you know it, use it. Then go to "Keychain Access.app" and change the password to your new password.

If you don't know it, then you have to remove "~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain", Logout, log back in. Open Safari. It should ask you if you want to go back to the defaults.

AFAIK, this has nothing to do with filevault.